Anybody grow egyptian walking onions??

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
A customer gave me a few and I was excited to learn about them... Then I was imagining them walking all over my garden and my enthusiasm weakened. Are they going to be a problem? Thanks!

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
They can only spread to the length of the flower stalk so they aren't any problem to contain. The bulblets make very nice pickles for use in salads.
I suppose you could also use them in martinis. :cool:

Ladyhawke1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
How do you keep them from walking away? Do you put little ball and chains around their ankles? :)

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love mine! I have some that are from those that my great-grandmother grew. I put them in my flowerbed, just because they're neat and they make a good conversation piece. They do spread a little when the tops fall over, but it's not like wild chives or anything. The bulbs are about the diameter of a penny and they sit right on top of the ground. You can use them for cooking like Hoodat said, or easily pick them up and give them away or move them. They are green most of the year round and I like that I can use the greens for scallions very early in the spring before my regular onions are up. They are very carefree and require no attention to keep them alive.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Excellent! Thanks everybody! Sure wish I would have known you guys when someone gifted me "snow on the mountain"! I'll get them planted and let you know how it goes!

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My grandmother loved snow on the mountain. Those old heirloom plants had such great names.
Egyptian onions have a stronger taste than scallions so they are nice to use where you want an onion flavor between yellow onions and bunching onions. Outstanding for oriental style soups.

GPN

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
:/ momma pulled all of ours from the garden this year, without leaving some for next year and tossed the tops to the chickens and chance they still left roots/ bulbs in the ground? I liked the taste of them and the look pretty in my pepper sauce.

GPN

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
If you look carefully where she took them out it's very likely there will be one or two small plants she missed. If she took out the entire stalk it won't come back from the roots.

GPN

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I can't find any now that she might have left, but I did order more on ebay last night and then checked here today and someone posted they had a neighbor whom had an abundance. :/