Anybody have a watering chart for indoor plants?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I always have to watch overwatering my indoor plants. FINALLY, I watch for yellowing, then smack my watering hand to stop overdoing it. :lol:

I know that there are charts for planting zones...does anybody have one for suggested watering? If so, I'd sure like one! :fl
Thanks, ahead of time.

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh I am the absolute opposite. I overwater outside plants, the ones inside have to suffer the driest of fates!

If only I could remember the ones up high! Poor little Pothus!

I do have one I wouldn't mind showing to folks. It was a housewarming gift of my own back in 1996. It is a Ficus benjamina. It is now 13+ years old. It has survived everything from Lovebird attacks and my ever diligent 'underwatering'.

rwi2ip.jpg

2ajvres.jpg

I guess this is one of those plants that lives with you forever! LOL

were we talking about houseplants? or seedlings grown inside to go outside?

Ron

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
LOL! I am the opposite also! I tend to give fluids to revive a plant hanging over the side of the pot... shortly before complete collapse, if I'm lucky... :lol: Only the extreme forgiving survive me!
Gardening outdoors is SO much easier!

......:pop

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I usually bring in annuals (at least, they're annuals where I live) like begonias, (annual) mums, geraniums AND this is 2nd year that I'll be starting vegetables and herbs inside.
Your ficus is lovely! :bun I have grown up 2 ficus trees, now, then left them out to enjoy the sun TOO LONG, and they both hit a frost and died. I'm about ready to try another. I have seen them in a yard in Florida with (easily) an > 3 inch diameter trunk. You probably know me well enough to know that I'm not interested in buying any help, like those watering globes--I'm TOO CHEAP for that!! I'd just like a suggested routine to curb my bbaaaddd watering habit.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Make yourself get into the habit of *picking each pot up* first, before tipping that watering can into it. You can tell by weight how wet/dry the soil is. Of course you still need to learn how wet/dry each kind of plant should be *kept* but you would anyhow :p

For some plants, those clay worms are useful if you want a visual guide. (Some plants need to be kept so wet or dry that the worms don't help much).

You can't have a schedule, though. Water needs vary with indoor humidity, temperature, and how actively the plant is/isn't growing.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Latest posts