anyone else feel that?

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i'm sure this isn't big news to hear of an earthquake recently. but to have one felt in NH/ME that was 4.5/4.6 is almost unheard of! it's the first time in my life to feel one like that! never really felt the small trembles we supposedly get about twice a year.

it was certainly a scary feeling when i was first thinking it was a big truck going by the house and then realized it lasted too long. then DH thought it was our washer but i didn't have it going. :/

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Chickies, now you know what I go through, although ours are a little more severe. I've never gotten used to them, they're always scary.

Mary

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
apparently the east coast quakes tend to be felt up to 300 miles because of the way the bedrock is so packed under everything. i'm still waiting to hear if anyone had any damage from the one we got. usually people just get small cracks in their walls. nothing too serious like a crumbled building like we see on TV in California. we get more damage from severe flooding like a few years ago that hit us.

my parents who live across town and about 600 feet away from the Maine border said that my mom's rooster statue collection actually moved from their spots on the shelves! guess it's time for her to dust :lol:

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
We occasionaly get tremors here in IA. I can't say I remember feeling one since I was a teen. (Many-many years ago!) Then the glass bottles danced on my vanity selves.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
We had some doozies in the late '60's in Santa Rosa, north of the bay area california. One was right around this time of year almost 11 at night. I was one of the thousands who saw blue flashes outside my window. Well, being a kid a few years earlier when we were taught to recognize an atomic bomb attack, I just said "this is it" as the lights went out and the hard rolling got bigger, and I could hear one of my sisters scream, then glass crashing, and my mother hollering in pain. It finally stopped and dad turned into superman, A bottle fell on mom, one of my sisters was in a state of utter shaking fear, dad found a flashlight, i found an old candle, my brother couldn't stop talking. We had some daytime shakers in the past earlier years, but that 1969 one was the doozer.

Then when i was in montana, i had an awesome fm and am receiver. it was 1989, and the thing was going on that had to happen before i died. the A's were playing the giants for the world series, and I set the am to ksfo to listen to it. well, some of you know what happened. those double decker freeways near the bay bridge that everyone knew would buckle did. at candlestick the announcers were saying about a bomb, no an earthq....static!

Then we had a couple doozies in montana, like in 04 and 06. Montana quakes rock hard. california quakes roll hard compared to montana quakes. that 06 quake was at night. another night quake.

I don't like nighttime quakes! nope. not one bit. daytime quakes are alright. at night everything goes suddenly pitch black. no time even for the eyes to get used to it, just the shaking of the world at night.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Chickie'sMoma, sometimes the little quakes are pretty disturbing!

I was napping in my Lazyboy once, on a hot summer afternoon. A small earthquake startled me awake! I thought that the house had been hit by a truck!

It was a small quake but the epicenter was only about 4 miles distant and about 1 mile beneath the surface. Toooo close!

I've been in other quakes in California and once in a fairly large one when I lived in what is known here as the Palouse. The Palouse Hills are formed by very fine, wind-blown soil. It gets wet and it's like jello. At least, it is like that in an earthquake we are told. It was almost nauseating to be in that quake. There aren't so many tall buildings in the Palouse Hills region but I learned from some people that lived in an 11 story building on a nearby university campus that it especially wasn't much fun, way up high in that thing!

Steve

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
We are about 5-7 miles as the crow flies from the center of last nights Maine quake. I don't believe there was any damage. Certainly a sound that I have never heard before. Like an explosion and then a freight train. I wonder exactly what that explosion sound is? Being that this was the first earthquake that I have ever felt, it was pretty cool. (since no one got hurt of course) 12-15 seconds that felt like minutes.

Certainly gave us all something to talk about. :D

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
digitS' said:
SHF, I think .

. . that explosion . .

. is rock breaking.

Steve
:gig I didn't want to state what I thought was too obvious. I thought there must be a more scientific explanation, one that my pea brain couldn't wrap iteself around. Rock breaking = I like it! I can get that one. :D As I reflect, it was a very cool sound of what I would describe as a pressurized explosion.