Anyone else's compost pile frozen solid?

muddler6

Leafing Out
Reaction score
After my last grass cutting/leaf raking last fall I stopped adding and turning my pile. My small copost containers were dumped out into the garden and spread out ready to till in, but my big compost pile it frozen solid. It has been warm here for about the last week or so, and I was able to get about the first 8 inches off the top of the pile, but the rest I need a jack hamme to break up. I have a large pile of chicken manure and bedding to put in there, but can't put any in until it thaws out. Any suggestions? Unfortunately it does not get a lot of sun light, but it was the only place I was "allowed" to put it and keep the peace in the home.

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
muddler6 said:
After my last grass cutting/leaf raking last fall I stopped adding and turning my pile. My small copost containers were dumped out into the garden and spread out ready to till in, but my big compost pile it frozen solid. It has been warm here for about the last week or so, and I was able to get about the first 8 inches off the top of the pile, but the rest I need a jack hamme to break up. I have a large pile of chicken manure and bedding to put in there, but can't put any in until it thaws out. Any suggestions? Unfortunately it does not get a lot of sun light, but it was the only place I was "allowed" to put it and keep the peace in the home.
I'd go ahead and put the new stuff on there. It will help that it out.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I would suggest NOT putting the new stuff in there, unless there is quite a lot of it like a cubic yard or more. A modest amount will not heat up on its own very much but what it *will* do is insulate the existing ice block so that it thaws even more slowly.

Frankly I think you just have to start a second pile at this point; or bag the stuff for later use; or give it away.

Honestly, don't put more stuff on top of the frozen part -- I do this ON PURPOSE to provide paths of firm footing for my horses in mud season, and it works quite well for that, which is exactly what you *don't* want :p

If it makes you feel any better, my chicken compost pile, which is just literally a pile about a meter high, is still frozen like rock about 3" below its surface.

If you can scrape away the thawed outer layer it will speed the thaawing of the rest; but if this is a one-piece enclosed composter or something like that, it may not be practical.

Good luck,

Pat

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My pile is still frozen we need night time temps above 40 and sunny warm 60 day times before it will thaw...

nightshade

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I am glade to hear that I was not the only one with a frozen pile. I must be honest though with the chickens and goats there has not been much making it to the pile except poo. The walking composters have been getting the rest. :/

muddler6

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I guess I have to remind myself that it is only March, and be a little patient, of course as I am writing this I am waiting on the SNOW that was being predicted for tonight. I just want to get it tilled in before I plant, so we'll see how it goes. Maybe I can throw a black tarp over it for a while and see it that helps with the morning sun that it does get.

CityChook

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
My pile is frozen solid too. I just plan on starting a new pile with the winter coop shavings. I'd like to get some compost on to the garden soon, but am not feeling very hopeful... could be weeks before that pile is defrosted... oh well, not like I can till the garden either, as it's frozen solid only 2 inches below the surface as well.

The black tarp *might* help. Last spring, we did the tarp thing over some perennial gardens so that I could salvage plants before construction on a replacement retaining wall started. We were the first on his list of Spring clients, and I was not prepared when he was ready to get started. Talk about panic! But the tarps worked - the beds defrosted enough to get a shovel into the ground and wouldn't you know, every one of those plants survived.

Liberty7

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
CityChook:

I live in a burb of Minneapolis (Coon Rapids;) and, my compost is also frozen.

I'm going to try something NEW this growing season which I read about. As soon as I've got my garden tilled/soil amended and marked off into growing areas/beds, START putting 'some' of the kitchen refuse that we would normally put in the compost into HOLES dug into the walkways of the garden and let it compost THERE! That way, when we till in the spring, this walkway/compost will be incorporated into our GROWING areas.

In other words -- compost BOTH in the compost bin(s) AND right in the garden!

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Liberty7 said:
CityChook:

I live in a burb of Minneapolis (Coon Rapids;) and, my compost is also frozen.

I'm going to try something NEW this growing season which I read about. As soon as I've got my garden tilled/soil amended and marked off into growing areas/beds, START putting 'some' of the kitchen refuse that we would normally put in the compost into HOLES dug into the walkways of the garden and let it compost THERE! That way, when we till in the spring, this walkway/compost will be incorporated into our GROWING areas.

In other words -- compost BOTH in the compost bin(s) AND right in the garden!
Sounds kind of like when the Indians tossed a fish in the hole when planting. :)

CityChook

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Actually, it's exactly the idea the Native Americans had. My father, who really is the vegetable garden *master* taught me to do this. I've been doing it in my gardens for years. Works great. I found that basic kitchen scraps (mostly veggie peels and shrimp shells - no meat) decompose very quickly - about 2 weeks and there's no sight of them. I worry about inviting vermin, but so far, no problems.

Can you believe it's going to be mid-50s this weekend? I'm psyched!

Latest posts