Anyone ever make tomato juice?

Doodle Do

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I have a squeezo-o, just like your hand crank one. I have not ever cooked my tomatoes before I press. I wash them good, if they wont fit thru the hole I will cut them in half. Put thru machine, which seperates the juice from the seeds, core, etc. I also cook a few hot peppers and celery and put thru with the tomatoes. Bring to boil and boil 10 mins, scraping off scum, if any. Put in hot jars with 1 tsp pickling salt, 1 tsp orgeno and 1 clove of garlic. This is excellent to drink or to cook down with a can of paste for spaghetti sauce.

janetnjim

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Doodle Do said:
I have a squeezo-o, just like your hand crank one. I have not ever cooked my tomatoes before I press. I wash them good, if they wont fit thru the hole I will cut them in half. Put thru machine, which seperates the juice from the seeds, core, etc. I also cook a few hot peppers and celery and put thru with the tomatoes. Bring to boil and boil 10 mins, scraping off scum, if any. Put in hot jars with 1 tsp pickling salt, 1 tsp orgeno and 1 clove of garlic. This is excellent to drink or to cook down with a can of paste for spaghetti sauce.
Wow Lori, that really sounds tastey. I am gonna try yer recipe. Lord knows i got 'nuf 'maters lol
My first batch i strained the 'maters raw and the taste is jiist a wee bit week. I was thinkin that if i cook 'em first i'll git more flavors from the 'maters ?
I have a bout 3 dox. 'maters cookin away right now that i'm gonna make juice with.
have you ever tried the cooked vs. non-cooked to see if there was any difference in flavor.
I know that if i use RED ripe tomatos the taste will be better(stronger), but my dang chikens won't let me have the real red ones. No matter what i do to prevent it. As soon as i git one that is truely vine rippend they beat me to it and peck holes in about a 1/4 of it GRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
my grandmother does hers that way too, minus the peppers, etc. But she puts the "squeezens" back thu a second time, youd be surprised how much more juice they still have in them.

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Grow4, that sounds like a lot of fun for DS. I used to do similar tasks for my mom when I was otherwise too young to "help" much in the kitchen. Of course, she always double checked the cleanliness of my hands first as I was otherwise known to be often outside making "mud and dandilion" recipes in my play kitchen. I even succeeded in getting little brother to taste a few and BOY :/ did that get me wholloped but good. Its not MY fault little brother was so gullable, is it? He was just almost 3 and I was almost 6. :p

Doodle Do

Leafing Out
Reaction score
That recipe is the only one I have ever tried. It does make a difference in the juice as to what kind of tomatoes you use. Paste maters will give you a thicker juice and not much water. I have drank the juice as I was making it, but I think it taste different after it sits for a few months.

janetnjim

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
ams3651 said:
my grandmother does hers that way too, minus the peppers, etc. But she puts the "squeezens" back thu a second time, youd be surprised how much more juice they still have in them.
I do that also ams,plenty more juice comes out of the "squeezins" === flavor.

janetnjim

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Doodle Do said:
That recipe is the only one I have ever tried. It does make a difference in the juice as to what kind of tomatoes you use. Paste maters will give you a thicker juice and not much water. I have drank the juice as I was making it, but I think it taste different after it sits for a few months.
I agree Lori, i believe what i have are either early girls or better boys. I'm gonna git some other kinds from a friend and try 'em.
Even jist a few days in the fridge makes a difference in taste.

Latest posts