Anyone ever plant potatoes in straw?

Nubsmum

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I read a great article about growing potatoes like the french have done for years so I have tried it this year. You plant the taties on top of the ground then layer over them with straw and rich soil(I am using a 4 way compost mix) as they grow you keep adding soil and straw so you hill them as they grow.

My question is: How much should I water the plants. They are growing great and the straw really keep the moisture in. Should they be allowed to dry out between waterings? Should they be kept moist at all times? :hu Unfortunatly the article did not talk about that part. I have never raised potatoes before so it is all new to me. I don't want to rot the potatoes once they start growing. I have no blossoms yet. Some of them are just now sprouting.

The benefit to growing this way is that you can harvest as they are still growing. You can reach under the straw and pull out the "new" taties while the plant is still producing and when they are done you just pull out the straw or push it aside and harvest. :weee

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Do not let them dry out. Keep the straw evenly moist but not soggy for the best results. The biggest thing you have to remember is to not let too much compost come in contact with new potatoes since this may cause potato scab.

It's a great way to grow potatoes and pretty effortless too.

Good luck!

Nubsmum

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks so much!!:cool:

I have been keeping them moist and going light on the compost. It is a 4 way mix so it is not too strong. So far they are growing like weeds!

:dance

sclanimals

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I also am growing mine in straw and am quite the newbie at growing potatoes. This is so fun. I wonder if yams would grow well in straw........hmm....

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Funny that you should post this.
I just bought a bale of straw today to use with my potatoes but was going to look into the exact method of it.
I planted my potatoes 3 weeks ago and they have all grown to about 6-8 inches. The tallest ones I mounded with the dirt already and the other ones will probably be tall enough to start hilling up by the end of the week.
I wasn't sure if I should just start using the straw by itself or to mix it with the soil.
I have read about it and seen it recommended both ways.
They mentioned that the straw could possibly sprout if its not allowed to age.They said to it spread out on the ground somewhere you don't care about and let it sprout and then use it to mulch the potaoes.
I am not sure how long that would take.
Did you just use the straw as is?

Latest posts