Anyone ever see a red fern?

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Last night I watched where the red ferns grow. In Feb I had to put a 14 year old dog to sleep, and would like to plant a red fern. Are they real or is it just a fable? I am talking about the whole fern being red not just some red coloring in spots. Thanks

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That is a wonderful movie. I'm intimately familiar with the Kiamichi (pronounced kay-a-mesh) area of Oklahoma where it supposedly takes place. It is a beautiful mountainous area. I know some ferns are red on the new shoots but turn green as they age but sorry to say I know of none that stay red all year. That isn't to say there are none; just none I know of.

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Isn't it awful to loose a dear four legged friend? It's like a piece of your heart is torn from your body. Sorry to hear about it. Never saw a red fern.

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
nyboy sorry for your loss...We had to put our 13 year old Kate down mid January... her sister has just stopped mourning...(she was chewing her tail)

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a fern that is red along the center. I think I got it from the White Flower Farm catalog.
Nyboy said:
Last night I watched where the red ferns grow. In Feb I had to put a 14 year old dog to sleep, and would like to plant a red fern. Are they real or is it just a fable? I am talking about the whole fern being red not just some red coloring in spots. Thanks

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
So sorry to hear about the loss of a beloved pet. I did a search and can not find a red fern. Some have touches of red or go red in fall. But no true red fern. It looks like red fern are a fable. Do a google search to find the origin

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm so sorry for your loss Nyboy. Soon, I'm going to be facing the loss of my 14 yr old girl - I don't know how I'll do it when the time comes.

I read Where The Red Fern Grows as a child over and over again - I still have the book.

BackerBunch

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I am so sorry for your loss, Nyboy. They are never with us long enough.