anyone grow miners' lettuce (Claytonia somethingorother)?

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi all, back after a loooong hiatus, good to see so many familiar 'faces' still here :)

I am not a very adventurous veg gardener, I tend to stick to the same old things most years (and a rather limited set thereof -- last year was the first time I actually tried potatoes, for heaven's sake, and I'm 45 years old and been growing *some* veggies almost all that time :p)

So one of the things I've started is some miner's lettuce, Claytonia somethingorother, chiefly on the basis that it is said to be pretty cold-hardy and I really *like* things I can start early and/or finish late. All I know about it, however, is the extremely-little the seed packet says.

So, has anyone here actually grown the stuff, any tips or suggestions, and what the heck does it TASTE like? :p

Thanks,

Pat

Holachicka

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I wish I had a good answer for you... I don't officially grow it because my 5 acres are COVERED in miners lettuce each spring... I have noticed that it seems to really flourish in areas around trees, brush and rock crevices so I think it likes partial shade. I also think it likes the loose hummus-y soil around those same areas... Hopefully someone who has actually tried to grow it will pipe in soon!

NurseNettie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I've not grown it either, and if I have any growing wild- I'd never know it to see it-- but I am also interested in it because of it's cold-hardiness. Can't wait to hear feedback to your post.

patandchickens said:
Hi all, back after a loooong hiatus, good to see so many familiar 'faces' still here :)

I am not a very adventurous veg gardener, I tend to stick to the same old things most years (and a rather limited set thereof -- last year was the first time I actually tried potatoes, for heaven's sake, and I'm 45 years old and been growing *some* veggies almost all that time :p)

So one of the things I've started is some miner's lettuce, Claytonia somethingorother, chiefly on the basis that it is said to be pretty cold-hardy and I really *like* things I can start early and/or finish late. All I know about it, however, is the extremely-little the seed packet says.

So, has anyone here actually grown the stuff, any tips or suggestions, and what the heck does it TASTE like? :p

Thanks,

Pat

Holachicka

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
murphysranch said:
My acreage is covered too! Its just about done now. But I do have fun picking the leaves and munching on them.
And it tastes like _______?

:)

Pat
To me, it tastes like a cross between spinach and lettuce... spinach texture, with a little simular taste, but the sweetness you find in butter lettuce... of course, I learned that I personally like to eat it at the young, heart shape stage, because once they produce the little white flowers, they taste a little too grassy for my taste. I've never tried it in a salad though, because DH refuses to eat "weeds"!!

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thank you Holachicka!!!! That is great to know. You are lucky to have such a useful "weed" in abundance where you live :)

I look forward to my seedlings' progress (no true leaves yet).

(also, hi right back atcha Steve :)),

Pat

Latest posts