anyone grow table grapes?

bayouchica

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm not sure of the correct name for these, maybe concord??
I was wondering do you prune them every yr ? These have been planted several yrs ago & we will finally able to run water directly to them this yr.Maybe the will get bigger with lots of water.
100_2630.jpg

100_2632.jpg

Any advice would be appreicated, Miriam

Mothergoat

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Be careful not to water them too much. In my experience, too much water to the vines in summer can make big sour watery grapes that don't ripen well and mildew problems in the vines. Your vines do look like they have made a good start, though. Don't be afraid to be brutal as you shape them up this winter. It's important to give them a good "shape" as a scaffold for the vine you will have for many years to come. My dad at 86 is still caring for the vineyard of Zinfandel that his grandpa planted in 1902. His grapes bring a premium from the winery.

bayouchica

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
thank you Reinbeau for the links. I'll have to check those out.
Mothergoat, that's so cool, grape vines that old. We do get very dry & desert like in the summers here. I'll be careful with the watering.
We had a horse a few yrs. ago, that pruned them back pretty bad.It didn't seem to hurt them. Those pics were from last yrs & they did pretty good.

Rio_Lindo_AZ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
bayouchica said:
I'm not sure of the correct name for these, maybe concord??
I was wondering do you prune them every yr ? These have been planted several yrs ago & we will finally able to run water directly to them this yr.Maybe the will get bigger with lots of water.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v665/bayouchica/BYC 3/100_2630.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v665/bayouchica/BYC 3/100_2632.jpg
Any advice would be appreicated, Miriam
Is there realy that much to planting grapes?!

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Most of my grapes that were grafted this year seem to be taking. They were grafted to 3 clones of Chardonnay.

Those that don't take, so long as its only 3 or 4 that don't take, I'm going to replace with HIMROD. That seems to be the closest to those old grapes ole Frank Di Stefano had on his vineyard near the bunkhouse for eating. He got them from Luther Burbank. One by one, plant by plant, Burbank's varieties are disappearing. I have his thornless blackberry that is a sprawler.

sweetrabbit

Sprout
Reaction score
I love grapes. And so I did try to plant some before. Thought it will be tedious but not really. It was worth it. :)

Latest posts