Anyone grown Jerusalum Artichoke?

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We are trying them for the first time this year. We were given ours by an 82 yr old man that still sacks groceries and is more spry than a lot of folks half his age. From what I have read they can cause gas but then again so do beans and lots of other food. And just like other foods, the Jerusalem Artichokes do not affect everyone the same way. I have eaten one and really like them (no gas) and so do my kids (no gas either). They have a texture and crispness like a water chestnut and a mild nutty flavor. Just pick a place where you don't care if they take over (they can be invasive), plant then start harvesting in the fall. My friend just leaves them in the ground year round and digs them as he needs them. Here is a link that tells a few ways to prepare them:

http://www.vegparadise.com/highestperch26.html

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yeah, once you have them you HAVE them, I believe that in Ontario they are actually on the registry of official noxious weeds! :p

I have never grown them myself, although I do think about it from time to time since they require so next-to-no work. I am kind of 'enh' on their flavor and texture. My understanding is that their main drawback is that they do not store well anywhere except in the ground.

Give it a whirl if you want, but make sure they're somewhere you can contain them ;)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Latest posts