Anyone grown Vetiver or Purple lovegrass? UPDATE: Purple Robe flowers

Hollywood Gardens

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
My front yard is too high maintenance (all annuals!)so I really need to simplify things.

I saw Purple lovegrass growing by the streets here and it is really beautiful, and my mother wants to grow Vetiver, so I was think to grow them together and in the spring I could grow some flowers in-between for some extra color.

has anyone here grown either Vetiver or Purple Lovegrass? I would love some info on them.

Thank you!

Update:
I cannot find vetiver seeds! and they grow to be about 5 feet tall so I am skipping that.

I have bought seeds for Purple Lovegrass and Purple Robe flowers, in case you can't tell I love purple. :D

I hope that it will be pretty and low maintenance!

Has anyone here grown Purple Robe flowers?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wonder if that is what we call "smoke" bush around here? They both look like interesting plants. I am sure the combination would be beautiful. Low maintenance and good looking- sounds like the perfect combination!

Hollywood Gardens

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I looked at some pictures of Smoke bush, it is very similar--and pretty!

How long would it take to grow ornamental grasses from seed? because I have the pots so if I can rather quickly grow my own plugs it would save a lot of money!

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have purple fountain grass (Pennisetum alopecuroides setaceum 'Rubrum') in my front yard. It's pest free, almost drought proof and pretty but it takes a lot of room. Great to fill up that awkward corner.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hollywood- you are in Florida! Plant the seeds. How far can you go wrong?? Keep us posted on your progress!

Hollywood Gardens

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Actually the heavy rains that we get here would wash the seeds away, so since I already have the small seed starting pots I am going to start plugs and small plant for the flowers and wait to rip out the front until I have something to put in!

I will keep you posted! with pictures!

Latest posts