Anyone have a Guava tree

Mossy Rock

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Does anyone have a guava tree, how well does it grow and what kind of climate are you in? I live in California and have thought about planting one.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We have one in Southern California. Grows pretty well and gives tons of fruit. The property is in Western Riverside county.

The tree seems to give 2 big harvests a year, one in the mid-spring and another in the late-summer/early-fall.

The only thing we really have ever done to it was give it lots of well composted chicken manure. Seemed to do the trick just fine. The green japanese beetles that attack the figs and peaches every year don't seem to touch it either.

Funny too, my grandmother started this tree from seed! A few years later it's now 15 feet tall and giving more fruit than we can eat.

Mossy Rock

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Sounds great I have a perfect spot picked out for one. Thanks! Hopefully that is all I need is one?

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Mossy Rock said:
Sounds great I have a perfect spot picked out for one. Thanks! Hopefully that is all I need is one?
We only have just the one.

One other thing. They really take a beating whenever it gets windy (and with those Santa Ana's it gets windy) and that's the only think is that we should have given it more wind protection, IMO.

Good luck!

Mossy Rock

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
OaklandCityFarmer said:
Mossy Rock said:
We only have just the one.

One other thing. They really take a beating whenever it gets windy (and with those Santa Ana's it gets windy) and that's the only think is that we should have given it more wind protection, IMO.

Good luck!
We ended up planting a white guava dwaft, they said it gets around 8-10' tall and wide, we planted it near a fence to protect it against the wind. TX

Mossy Rock

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
It mentioned they need lots of water, hot weather and is self pollinating.

Latest posts