Anyone Have a Recipe for Applesauce?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
;)

"Well, Art is Art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water. And east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now you tell me what you know." Groucho Marx

I know a little something about applesauce but I really had to wonder if you were pulling out leg again, OG. So, I found a quote from a great TV comedian hoping that it would some how fit for a response . . .

Honestly, I thought that all one does is boil apples to make applesauce. Might need just a little water to get them started . . . I suppose one could put some sugar & cinnamon in there if you really wanted to. I save those for applebutter which I have made many times and have a dandy recipe for.

After looking on the internet for a recipe I found that you actually can put some sugar & cinnamon in the apples and claim to be making something special. Are you sure you need a recipe for applesauce? Whatever the case, there are cooks on TEG with considerably more talent than I have so I think I'd better stop. (A lot of apples around in this corner of the country; a lot of prunes, too.)

;)

Steve

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
OldGuy My MIL made her applesauce with hardlyany work! She would 1/4 the apples and remove core and seeds, simmer with skins on (this made a nice rosey apple sauce) then pressed through a colonder to remove skins when tender (not mushy). No sugar neccesary unless apples are too tart. Add cinnamon if you like that flavor. She also made a chunky version, but you need to peel apples as this does not go through the colonder. Just mash them with a potato mashed when tender. She froze hers. It could be canned,also.

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Nope, not joking. I found lots of recipes on the internet, but there seems to be a lot of different ideas. Some say to add lemon juice or lemon peel. Some say to boil it, others have other ideas. Sugar, brown sugar or no sugar. What kind of apples. I'm confused with all this advice. :barnie

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
If I were you, I would just cook down the apples and see how you like them. I usually don't sweeten mine- but you certainly could. If you enjoy a chunky applesauce, that is really all there is to it.

schmije

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Slice up some apples, toss them in the crock pot, and walk away. Stir every so often and stop when they're as soft as you want them. You really can't mess it up. If you want sugar, cinnamon, etc. add that in too. It will smell SO GOOD!

The lemon is probably to keep the apples from turning brown. You could also use Fruit Fresh, which is just Vitamin C.

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I peel and quarter about 8 apples in a pan, put in a little water, some sugar and I do squeeze a little lemon in there, because I like the tart-sweet. I cook it til its tender then mash it. We like it chunky. Homemade applesauce is one of my favorite things. It makes me think of Mom. Her's was always the best ever.

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
cityfarmer said:
The Ball Canning Book has a good recipe. If you don't have it, I can post it.
Please post. I don't have that book.
schmije said:
Slice up some apples, toss them in the crock pot, and walk away. Stir every so often and stop when they're as soft as you want them. You really can't mess it up. If you want sugar, cinnamon, etc. add that in too.
That sounds like my style. A variation on my "If ya tend um they die" theory. :D
peteyfoozer said:
I peel and quarter about 8 apples in a pan, put in a little water, some sugar and I do squeeze a little lemon in there, because I like the tart-sweet. I cook it til its tender then mash it. We like it chunky. Homemade applesauce is one of my favorite things. It makes me think of Mom. Her's was always the best ever.
And there's the lemon idea again. I think I'll try that, too.

I bought Red Delicious. Comments based on that choice?

Latest posts