Anyone have any ideas for this odd ball spot?

SarahFair

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
PHTO0122.jpg
PHTO0123.jpg
PHTO0149.jpg
PHTO0148-2.jpg

(excuse the mess.. it was spring cleaning for the garage)

So what you are looking at is a separate garage, behind it, and beside it.
What I would like to do (because Ive grown VERY lazy :rolleyes:) is put a silkie chicken coop/run from the next fence post from the gate and bring it out to the last one in the 3rd picture then bring it out in between the 2 widows on the side.

I dont want to have to mow that little area because its very hard to get in there and it never all gets cut. Id like to put some kind of path but dont have the money for pea gravel. Ive tried a mulch path in my back yard but have problems with drainage and all the mulch floats and then is spread all over the sides of the path. :/

Here is the problem area in the red box and the path I would like to put in:
oddpatch2.jpg

I just dont have any ideas on what to plant and how to make it look good.
The area gets a little shade in the morning (as seen in pic 1) and full sun till late late afternoon.

Here is a list of seeds I just ordered:
Mexican Feather Grass Ponytails
Butterfly Bush Mix
Hollyhock The Bride
Bellflower Complete Mix
Aster 'Opus'

I was thinking of putting a butterfly bush in the corner next to the fence and the house but dont know if it would get enough sun.
Im open to any ideas but mostly things must be started from seed (budget..)

Anyone have ANYTHING for me?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Have you thought about native wildflowers, like foxglove and coneflowers. Things that will attract a lot of hummingbirds, butterflies and supply food for birds in the fall? I bet that would be beautiful to walk through through the year. Everything alive and buzzing, and attracting new birds and wildlife?

Just an idea... we're trying to do that here.

SarahFair

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Yes! I have thought of it... Just dont know where to start!

Id like stuff for blooming throughout the year.
Something for spring
Somthing for summer
Something for fall
Something to stick around for winter....

Just so many choices and I dont know how to arrange for height, bloom time, time of year.
I feel like when I do this I have to create a HUGE spreadsheet! :lol:

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well, where do you live? What Zone are you in? Gotta see what is native for your area of course :)

It will help us help you. :p

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Some people really do make a spread sheet, etc. I like to wing it and see what nature thinks of my attempts! Of course, you plant the tall stuff in the back and work your way front with the shorter bedding plants... I say don't over think it. You could fill the whole area in with sunflowers, if you felt like it. No need to get fancy or expensive before you find out how you like your path, etc. I would pick native stuff that won't be hard to take care of. If you start with a few daisy's and black eyed susan, you will soon have a yard full of them. Your yard looks like it has lots of potential- don't worry, have fun!!! The great thing about gardening is that very often our "mistakes" turn out beautiful! Enjoy!

Latest posts