Anyone have experience...

wclawrence

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
It is too late for me to do this, this year; But next year I want to plant some blue corn and some red corn and cross-pollinate it, to see what I get.
Does anyone know whether I would get a purplish corn or would I get ears with both blue and red kernels?

I know the best way to do it is to remove the tops from my seed corn, allowing only the other variety to pollinate. Any other tips?

Thanks

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Are the blue and red corn varieties that you have hybrids or open-pollinated?

You would need to make sure that both varieties are OP since this would make a huge difference in what happens.

I would assume that this would probably make a bi-colored corn variety because when other different colored varieties are planted together they tend to make a multi-colored variety. Or at least IME. Even though they are multi-colored they hues do tend to change a bit.

Experiment and see what happens.

Good luck

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That's been my experience, also.

If you'd like to get some pretty ears, and also have them be useful, you could try Painted Mountain variety.

I get ears which are many colored, black and white, all deep wine, wine and black, cranberry etc. They are truly beautiful to look at. :)

Latest posts