Anyone have Guinea Fowl?

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
And do they really, really control the bug (mainly ant) population? I'm so overrun with ants I'd have to use a truck load of poision (which I won't) to get rid of them.

I thought I could start with 3 keets and hopefully they will stick close to my house and not the neighbors - although I know that is not possible. If I did get them, I would first go around to all my neighbors and ask permission and explain what they are, and what they do, how loud they can be and what to expect.

What do you think? Any suggestions would be helpful!

Oh, and has anyone ever heard of them attacking children and do they make that racket in the middle of the night?

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My neighbors have Guineas... they are REALLY loud sometimes. They often come into our side yard. I have noticed that there are less bugs in that side of our yard, but they don't go in our garden, which is on the other side of the house. I've never noticed them at night. Only the one time that they were having a party last year did I notice them in the evening.

As far as attacking children... I've never seen them go after anyone, but that doesn't mean that they wouldn't.

Hope that helps!

swampducks

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Mine run from everyone, kids included, they're very skittish. I've not really noticed whether they eat ants, I assume they do. They sleep pretty soundly though I would think if something nasty invaded their coop at night they'd send up a racket.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Huge bug eaters but won't be real good on ants unless that is only insect available, then I'm not sure they will.

CAn't emphasis enough how NOISY they will be and they will go everywhere. I love them but they will lay as far from home as they can, then go broody. If you have a couple of hens, they will lay about 49 eggs and cover half of the half the time.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've never owned them, but have had neighbors that did. They are extremely noisy birds. If you're wanting them to control ants you may be disappointed. They do eat ticks though!

Now Flickers are ant eating fools, ants make up something like 60% of their diet. I know... not helpful. :p

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yeah, I know they make a lot of racket - my brother has some. Well, if they don't eat ants, then I really don't have a need for them. :rolleyes:

thistle - never seen a Flicker in my neck of the woods. :/ I do have those big ugly woodpeckers that just eat my sunflower seeds and dump over my feeder.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey Joan, I just googled it and it sounds like it's an individual taste type thing with the GF. Seems like some of them will eat ants and some of 'em won't.

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hmmm, do you know where I can find them ant-eating guineas? or maybe just a plain 'ol anteater? I wonder how much one of those cost? :p

MuranoFarms

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Ohhh, yes! Get an anteater! :gig
I raise guineas. They will eat almost any bug that walks in front of them. They aren't as destructive in the garden as chickens. They don't make a noise all night long unless something wakes them up. My neighbors know they eat ticks and bugs so they don't care if the gooney birds come to visit.....I would at least tell the neighbors if I were you. I just read a post about somebody showing off the 'weird looking wild turkey' he shot. It was a guinea LOL best to let them know the birds belong to you...just in case.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here's another thing to consider: in my brief reading about guineas it was mentioned that they may stand in front of a hive and eat bees.

Somebody who has them would know more about that. Murano?