Anyone here grow red beets ?

janetnjim

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have my seeds started in starter trays and they came up quite well. 1st thing i don't understand is how did i git more plants then the number of seeds i planted ? I put 3 seeds in each pot and i have anywhere from 4 to 6 seedlings in each pot. Do the seeds sprout more than one plant ??
Annnd....how big do i allow the seedlings to become before i plant 'em ? Do they grow jist one beet per plant or do they produce more than one ?
Thanx, Jim

Mossy Rock

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have always planted the seed in the ground, I prefer the beet tops, as far as I remember you only get one per stalk.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yes, you can get more that one sprout per seed, depending. Are yours an older variety?

However, once they are thinned, you'll be back to one root per seed.

Generally I direct sow root vegetables. I would think that it's time to transplant them.

This year I'm not growing reds. I've got whites, yellows, and striped ones in, but usually I also plant red. :)

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Exactly, you should only have one plant per beet. You know, I sometimes plant what I think is a couple seeds and I get a bunch of sprouts. So I think it's my eyes deceiving me.

Either way, do thin them, selecting the strongest seedlings and then transplant.

Although they prefer cooler temps beets can stand up to some high heat, just make sure that they don't dry out as this may cause cracking.

Happy Gardening!

yardfarmer

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I've been told by Master Gardeners that beet seeds are actually a fruit that have more than one seed in their shell, that's why there are more plants from one seed.

i've never tried transplanting beets. tell us how it turns out :)

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yes, the varieties I grow are clusters of seeds per. I think that seed companies worked on that, making it one actual seed. Isn't that what the pelletizing was partly about a few years ago? I didn't pay a lot of attention, but think that was partly it.

And yes, they have fruits, YardFarmer, which are each a cluster of "nutlets."

OaklandCityFarmer, your eyes are not deceiving you, you are almost certainly getting more than one seedling per. :)

janetnjim

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanx for all the info y'all. I by no means want to rush summer away but dang ...i canno wait fer harvest :tools :watering

flinthillbillie

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I'm glad to read this thread because I was wondering the same thing about the seeds sprouting more than one plant. In the past I so disliked having to thin the tender tiny beets that this year I was diligent about spacing the seeds an inch apart. Despite that, they came up thicker than I expected and I still had to thin them. Now it makes sense!

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
flinthillbillie said:
I'm glad to read this thread because I was wondering the same thing about the seeds sprouting more than one plant. In the past I so disliked having to thin the tender tiny beets that this year I was diligent about spacing the seeds an inch apart. Despite that, they came up thicker than I expected and I still had to thin them. Now it makes sense!
Thinning is one of the hardest things to do to a little seedling.

Yeah, this makes more sense now. I knew I wasn't losing my eyesight that quickly! Doesn't explain about seeds though.

janetnjim

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thinning is one of the hardest things to do to a little seedling.
Man i hear ya Carlos. I jist can't bring myself to end thier tiny little new lives. That's why i ask Janet to do it :gig

Latest posts