Anyone Know About Gutters?

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had to rip off and replace my whole roof. I have to have gutters put on, is there any differcence between metal or vinly? I live where winter has a lot of snow and ice. Any advice about having gutters installed? Anyone use rain chains for down spouts?

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
I assume that you are in New York and receive lots of ice and snow... I would have had the gutters installed before the roof was reinstalled. Did the roofers install a protective moisture barrier at the roof edge to prevent water dammage to underlayment by ice dam melting on the roof? Leaf guards on gutters sometimes form ice over the edges causing water dammage to the roof underlayment from melting ice.Then, I would be asking about the weight of ICE in the gutters and will they hold up or fall. What guarantees / warrantees does the roofing companies offer for the gutters and/ or roof if installed by different contractors.? Good luck ! :hu

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Can't help you Nyboy-don't have gutters and durn sure don't have ice or snow........ send me some? Like......now? :lol:

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I prefer metal gutters. Wishing now that we would have installed the bigger gutters with the new roof. Ours are "ONE PIECE" that is they are formed on site to fit each side. That eliminates piecing 10 ft lengths. We even got them to prefab the gutters so we could put them on ourselves. For the straight back of the house that was one piece 120 feet long! Of course this house had hip roof so we have gutters all around - no gables here.

Plastic will eventually crack - especially if hit by a limb in cold weather. Metal may bend, but it will last. Ours are 40 years old and (since I cleaned them up when we re did the soffit last year) look as good as new.

I think the rain chains is a neat idea but would rather have rain barrels. Proper grading of ground away from the foundation is a must!

Gutters do not go under the roofing material so it is A-ok to put them up later. They slip under the metal roof edging with a slight pitch to keep the gutters draining properly.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I agree with Red. One piece metal is the way to go. You might also want to consider a gutter deicing system.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
We had gutter guards installed. They put in new gutters also if you need them. They are very pricey. I can't remember the brand that we have but there are many out there. You never have to clean your gutters which is a great advantage when you get older. Do you need those heaters near the gutters where you are to prevent ice damns?

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cat the older I get the less I want to be on a ladder. Will be putting in the heaters, some winters are mild and some brutal , you never know.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have 4 acquaintances who have had ladder accidents with severe outcomes including a paraplegic. T hey were not that old when they had their accidents. I think about how casually I have climbed ladders! I remember stopping my Dad when he was well into his 80's from climbing on a rickety chair to reach the ceiling vents. My Mom was holding the chair for him. He could barely walk at the time. We are always young in our minds.
Nyboy said:
Cat the older I get the less I want to be on a ladder. Will be putting in the heaters, some winters are mild and some brutal , you never know.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
catjac1975 said:
I have 4 acquaintances who have had ladder accidents with severe outcomes including a paraplegic. They were not that old when they had their accidents.
I am pleased as punch that at 76, DH chooses to stay off ladders. A brother-in-law fell off his roof - cleaning eaves last summer - and at 54 was dead 5 days later. DS did roofing until his tether broke and he fell. Broke his foot, lower leg, knee, and broke his jaw in 5 places. He was spitting out teeth for the next 3 days! He is, understandably, a bit leery about climbing ladders now. Nope! I used to roof with DH, but don't like getting too far from terra-firma anymore either.

Latest posts