Anyone want to help me plan my new dog kennel planters?

nekomi

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm new to gardening, but have a very unique little container garden planned that I really need help with!

I help out with sled dog and wolf hybrid rescue, and so to help foster animals (and for my own dogs to enjoy), I have a huge 16' x 20' "kennel" built into my back deck. I thought it could use some sprucing up, so DH and I spent the weekend building 3 wooden planting boxes to hang on the side of the kennel. They are each 30" long x 12" wide (front to back) x 8" tall.

I'd like to fill them with flowers and herbs, but I have a very specific set of needs:

-Must be NON-TOXIC - I know the dogs will reach out and try to munch on them through the fence from time to time. Here is a list of non-toxic plants for pets - http://www.sniksnak.com/plants.html
-Must be able to tolerate a hot, dry, sunny location (not necessarily dry soil, but a dry area - it's over my gravel driveway)
-Colorful - I want to add some color and interest to the kennel "wall"
-FRAGRANT - very important! :D Sometimes the kennel can smell a bit "doggy", especially when we have a new arrival right from the shelter, and I'd like to counteract that a bit
-Under 12" tall or so, or able to be cut back - I do like plants that trail and cascade over the side of planters, though

I already know I'm going to plant some mint, lemon balm, and thyme in the planters as well. This is because these plants repel fleas and flies, plus they smell nice too. (Great for around the barn and chicken coop too!)

Any suggestions would be so greatly appreciated!! Once the planters are filled, I can't wait to come back and post updated photos. But in the meantime, here's a pic of the kennel wall so you can all help me plan! :D (I'm hanging the planters on the wooden "half-wall" portion in the pic.) The two huge plastic-terra-cotta containers are also gone.

kennel1.jpg

nekomi

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I really like mums, but unfortunately they are toxic to pets!

CityChook

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Here are a couple recommendation:

Lavender, which smells lovely when it gets brushed up against
Basil, FOR SURE, because everyone loves a good pesto (!!)
Italian Parsley, a staple in the kitchen
Chives, again, a staple
Marguarite daisies (bushy foliage with petite white flowers) for some fullness and height
Bachelor Buttons, which can be treated like a herb (pretty in salads)
Strawberries, which will cascade as well as bush up
Petunias, which will cascade
Catmint, which is perennial, smells great and has pretty purple flowers all summer
Zinnias, which add height and awesome bright colors and can be grown easily from seed to shave $
Baby Salad Greens, for fullness, height and DINNER!

And who can go without:
Cherry Tomatoes!

If you want to keep the bugs away, don't forget the pot marigolds.

Have fun!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
The dog kennel looks great! With flower boxes along the fence it will be wonderful! Can't wait to see what you do with it! Keep us posted! Enjoy!

Latest posts