Aphids in my Greenhouse?? HELP!

Orpstralope

Sprout
Reaction score
So about a week ago I noticed one pepper plant struggling with its new growth, and sure enough it turned out to be aphids crawling around. I isolated the plant and sprayed it with Capn Jacks Organic Spray. This didn't work so I tried Malathion...the pesticide.

Now the aphids are on about 40% of my peppers. How can I get rid of them? I'm not actually sure if the Malathion worked because I just used it yesterday. I believe that these pesticides take a few days to kick into high gear, is that correct? Thanks

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome! Welcome! Tell us what zone you are in... Can you get those plants outside and give them a good hosing down? I have never seen an aphid on a pepper plant. Wondering if it is a result of having them in the greenhouse? Don't use pesticides- so I can't help you with that question. Good luck!

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have a problem with aphids on certain plants in my garden so I ordered some of their natural predators to release.
You can ordered them at different places online.
I got mine from Garden's Alive, who by the way has been offering a $25.00 discount on any order or $50.00

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was going to recommend ladybugs (perfect if you are keeping plants in the greenhouse). Only way to keep the ladies around. But, I would hesitate now that you have sprayed...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just reading about Spinosad in Wikipedia and altho' Jack claims it works on aphids, I don't see them listed. That may not mean much, tho', considering the source. Bt spray for caterpillars doesn't kill aphids . . .

Aphids are hard to kill with some insecticides. That doesn't seem logical since they are so easy to squish but it seems to be true.

I sprayed the eggplants 3 times in the greenhouse . . :he ! It often takes going the extra mile with them. And, I sprayed the peppers once this year and most years.

Rotenone/pyrethrin just doesn't seem to work too well with aphids, inside or out. Insecticidal soap kills 'em dead . . . however, it does that thru dehydration, mostly. A greenhouse is very humid. Soap doesn't work well for me in a greenhouse.

I need to have a very nice day, take the plants out into the shade during the afternoon, and spray them with Safer or Concern soap. Humidity is lowest in the afternoon. Keep the plants out of the sun. They are tender little things.

Good Luck!

Steve

Orpstralope

Sprout
Reaction score
Thanks so much everyone! I don't know what zone I'm in...I'm located in Boone, NC though - the mountains of North Carolina. I'm going to order some lady bugs - even though I sprayed yesterday I think if I release them after a good water spraying It might be worth it.

I'm not going to use anything but the soap otherwise - and only outside.
Thanks again

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
lesa said:
I was going to recommend ladybugs (perfect if you are keeping plants in the greenhouse). Only way to keep the ladies around. But, I would hesitate now that you have sprayed...
I completely agree! I am also in your general area... neighbor... I just think I'm a larger Zone being south central NC near Raleigh.

:welcome

insiderart

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I recommend you go to your local garden center and look for some nicotine bombs. They work great in a greenhouse for controlling aphids.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The idea of using nicotine in any form concerns me. The EPA, at the moment, is scheduling the use of nicotine insecticide to end in 2013. Phase-out is now in its 2nd year of a 5 year process.

Nicotine is considered to be of too great a risk to human health for continued use in greenhouses on non-food crops. I'm not sure if nicotine is permitted to be used on food crops. Bonide's nicotine dust use was canceled a couple of years ago.

The label on the nicotine fumigants say, "RESTRICTED USE PESTICIDE Due to Very High Acute Inhalation, Oral, Dermal and Eye Toxicity to Humans. For retail sale to and use only by Certified Applicators or persons under their direct supervision, and only for uses covered by the Certified Applicators certification."

One container treats 20,000 cubic feet. My greenhouse is fairly large for a backyard - it is only about 1,200 cubic feet in size.

Steve

Latest posts