Apple peel jelly

Liberty7

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
My apple tree was prolific this year, and I dehydrated a lot of apple slices plus froze a lot.

Well, I'm presently reading an historical fiction book, set in the 1800's and read that they used apple PEELS to make apple jelly. I got to thinking, "YIKES, I threw all those peels in the compost when I could have made jelly out of them!" I'll do this next year.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yup, most of the pectin is in the skins and the cores/seeds :)

The only thing is, it is smarter to only do this with *unsprayed* apples, as pesticides cannot be fully washed off and making jelly concentrates 'em considerably.

Pat

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh yes... I've had suggestions to just throw in the core and peel to make the jelly I have and them fish them out after they've been boiled since it extracted the pectin already for the most part.

I meant to try it this year... but Apples were pricey until I wanted to actually make apple jelly! :D

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
vfem said:
Oh yes... I've had suggestions to just throw in the core and peel to make the jelly I have and them fish them out after they've been boiled since it extracted the pectin already for the most part.
The easiest thing to do by far, assuming unsprayed apples, is to just quarter the whole entire apple (paranoid people can cut out blossom and stem ends) and chuck it in the kettle with a bit of water; simmer it to mush, hang the mush in jelly bag to extract the juice for jelly (you don't have to fish anything out), then unless it's been sitting in the jelly bag so long you're concerned about food safety, you can run the stuff that remains in the jelly bag through a Foley food mill or similar device to remove the skin/seeds/stems and give you a few servings of applesauce as a bonus :)

Actually that is how I make applesauce too -- I peel them and pare the ends out if they've been sprayed -- only I add little or no water, and of course skip the jelly bag. Applesauce made from the *whole* apple is IMHO much much tastier, also prettier cuz it's that nice pink :)

Pat

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I recently purchased 2 bushels apple. I washed and when I peeled them, I let the peelings and cores fall into a dishpan with lemon juice water. Froze all those(drained) in gallon bags. when I get in the mood, I will thaw and make jelly, or juice all this and add the juice to other juices for mixed jelly and to help the others set. As far as the apples, I cut them in slices, then made a boiled mixture of brown sugar, a bit of lemon juice, nutmeg and cinnamon and a bit of cornstarch -and a tiny bit of water to make it boilable, then poured over the apple slices, this just made a coating for the apples before freezing, will take out and fry in butter for my hubby-he loves fried apples!! also can use in apple pie filling.