apple smoked chicken noodle soup

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
after reading @Nyboy oops soup. had a hankering for soup and today was perfect for it, been raining all day.

got home yesterday fired up the weber once ready added apple wood chips and place the chicken on.
we went to 2 stores nobody had whole fryers, it was slim pickings on chicken for some reason, did find 2 whole cut up chickens and a pack of legs.
DSC_0001.JPG

after one and half hours chicken was done... let cool and placed in the fridge overnight.
DSC_0002.JPG

in the morning chopped the veggies and place then into the oven on broil for 1 hour stirring few times.
carrots,celery,parsnips,onions,zucchini,squash,tomatoes,mushrooms,leeks,garlic
DSC_0007.JPG

once roasted added everything together into the stock pot..water,worcestershire sauce,veggies ,herbs,chicken bones and legs.
did not want too much of a smoky flavor so only used half the bones and no skin. but left the legs as is..
DSC_0005.JPG

let it simmer for 6 hours. then drained through a wire mesh colander. placed in a ice bath skimmed off and saved some fat and portioned up some for the freezer.
DSC_0010.JPG
DSC_0011.JPG

put the stock pot back on brought it back to a simmer and added the chicken and veggies. thought we had egg noodles nope so found a open box of shells boiled them separate and sliced them like noodles then added them. did add half a red bell.
DSC_0013.JPG

buttered and broiled some sour dough bread and served...
DSC_0001.JPG

dang that was good stuff...

Last edited:

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was thinking like Mary! That looks and sounds divine!
But too much work for me. :( Guess I am a lazy cook. Good thing DH likes simple meals.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
major, if you lived closed to me, I'd ask you to make a double portion and sell it to me! Wish I could cook as good as you.

Mary
now mary if i lived closer you and the family would be invited over for dinner all the time, nothing like sharing a good meal with friends...

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can almost taste it, just by looking at the pics!!! :th That looks absolutely wonderful! You should have been a chef, Major.

Like Carol, I'm a lazy cook and would not likely take that many steps to get into a pot of soup...but I'm thinking mine wouldn't taste like yours either. Good, but not quite as nuanced and unctuous as yours. :drool

Better tasting chicken, though..... ;) That would have stepped it up a notch, using home grown, free range birds.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was thinking like Mary! That looks and sounds divine!
But too much work for me. :( Guess I am a lazy cook. Good thing DH likes simple meals.

carol i had all week to plan this meal out, took 2 different recipes and turned it into 1 meal.....
prep time: 20 mins
supervised cook time: 1 hr
unsupervised time: 6 hrs

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can almost taste it, just by looking at the pics!!! :th That looks absolutely wonderful! You should have been a chef, Major.

Like Carol, I'm a lazy cook and would not likely take that many steps to get into a pot of soup...but I'm thinking mine wouldn't taste like yours either. Good, but not quite as nuanced and unctuous as yours. :drool

Better tasting chicken, though..... ;) That would have stepped it up a notch, using home grown, free range birds.

yes home grown chicken would have been better.....
as for being a chef.... in my younger life was one, started off as a dishwasher and over the decades worked my way up to exe chef. have been trained in Swiss, German and Italian cuisine.