Apple Tree?

horsechick

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hi,
I was looking thru a magazine and saw an apple tree that has been altered to give off 5 different kinds of apples.
Has anyone seen this or have one?
Tried it?
It also says it is self polinating so I guess you would only have to have one to do the job versus 2+ for a single kind of apple.

I may give it a try.
I know my kids would eat them all!
Thanks for any suggestions.
Angela

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with multiply-grafted apple trees per se. They can be quite useful, especially for a family that wants variety but does not eat a ton of apples.

However I would be very cautious about wasting money on something advertised in a magazine. Most of those are going to arrive in poor condition, probably on inappropriate rootstock, and not give you much bang for your buck. If you really want one, I'd suggest hunting around local nurseries, you'll have to do a bit of asking or phoning, and possibly drive a bit of a ways, but are likely to get a much better long-term prospect.

Good luck,

Pat

Backyard Buddies

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I've heard mixed reviews on these. Some love them, some hate them. There's another way to do this if yard size constraints are an issue. There is a method for growing deciduous fruit trees whereby you plant several trees in a single hole, then prune the cross branches to avoid overcrowding. With the pruning, you won't get as many fruits as the same number of single trees, but it's supposed to be a more manageable system and YOU get to select the varieties grown and when they mature. It's entirely possible to end up with fruit throughout the season with this method.

Here's some reading for you:

http://www.davewilson.com/homegrown/gardencompass/gc01_mar_apr_01.html

S0rcy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
These are also sold in many places such as Home Depot, Fred Meyer, Costco and other food warehouses. I saw one in Kmart yesterday. :) I don't order live from magazines anymore.. been burned one too many times

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yeah well, personally I would not buy them from Home Depot or Walmart or whatever, *either* ;) Not just for economic-ethics reasons but because that is STILL a real cr*pshoot in terms of how good a plant you get (they've generally been abused quite a lot, and for woody plants where I'm spending a bit of money, I don't think it makes sense to save twenty bucks and get a tree that dies or just never really flourishes).

Heck, if you know someone who does fruit tree grafting (as a hobby, or if you are near an outfit that grows/sells a lot of fruit trees) talk to them about MAKING you a multiply grafted tree, if you really want one. That way you can get exactly the varieties you want!

Pat

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Just my 2 cents, my boyfriend bought one of these a few years ago and it didnt do well at all then it died.