Applying compost...

lovemyflock

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm totally new here and new to gardening. We started our organic vegetable garden with seeds, and planted most of them inside for about 4-6 weeks. Around that same time I started composting.

We are growing corn, carrots, broccoli, cucumbers, jalepanos, pumpkins, watermelons, and some herbs. By now most of our plants have either been transplanted or were started outside. As of right now, all the plants look pretty healthy. The ground was not pre-fertilized since I only started the compost heap when I started the seeds. My compost is looking finished now, like black dirt.

My question is, when and how do I apply it? Do i just put some around each plant? Another potential problem is I don't have a ton of it to go around... :/ Will I still get some vegetables if they dont have a lot of fertilizer??

Thanks for your help :)

~Kristin

vltaber

Sprout
Reaction score
Wow, there are so many variables here! If your soil is fertile on its own, you may get good yields the first yearwith no fertilizer. However, if it is sandy, clayey, or just not full of organic material you may not.

I move a lot and it seems every new garden I start does great the first year, when the natural soil fertility is not depleted and the various bugs and diseases have not discovered the plants. The second and third years are good too since the soil structure is better and I have a better idea what will do well where, but I do need to fertilize more and be more aware of pests.

If you have compost ready, I'd apply it around each plant as a mulch, preferably not actually touching the plant but close in. You could also pick up some premixed organic fertilizer and/or bagged steer manure to fertilize this year, there is no law against it!

Vicki

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Clayey soil actually *is* pretty fertile, as a rule - what can stunt plants growing in serious unamended clay is poor root development and an unfavorable moisture regime (either too wet or too dry).

Most people, in most soils that can't double as playground sand, will get a decent harvest (i.e. some veggies) with no fertilizer or compost added at all, at least for a few years. So I would not worry too much. If you see plants that act starved, you can fertilize them with something from the store on a case by case basis -- but I bet you may not see this problem.

Personally I would mulch with some compost but mostly just wait til the bed is finished in the fall and then dig in as much compostable stuff as possible to let sit over the winter. Lots and lots and lots, if you can get it. By spring, your soil will be in good shape :)

Good luck,

Pat

Latest posts