Aquaponic gardening at home

Timmy

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hi I found something about Aquaponic gardening the other day and was wondering if anybody here knows anything about it. Have you tried it? How Does it work? What plants and fish work best? how about crayfish?Thanks.

AmyRey

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Oh - first post! Greetings!

I know nothing of what you're asking however. ;)

Timmy

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcoming. Do the Australian Red Claws and other crayfish reproduce in the tanks? can I just use crayfish that I trap or buy at a bait shop? Are there any regulations that anyone knows of about using game fish such as bluegill or other sunfish? Thanks again.

Timmy

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Does anyone have pics or diagrams of how these systems work and how to build them? do 55 gallon drums work well? is it just gravel in the medium tank? Is one system better than another?

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hi Timmy and welcome to the boards. Try a good search on youtube. I remember seeing several videos on aquaponic gardening there. There are also many websites on the subject. Please sick around and keep us up to date on your progress.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Biggest thing is they can climb. Up electrical wires to heat tanks, or pumps to circulate water. Airline hoses, plants, rocks if they can reach the next step up they can take it. Doesn't mean they will but they can. Once up they'll fall out and you'll find them dead on the floor all dried up.

Just keep the lids tight and minimize areas for them to try to squeeze through and they are wonderful inhabitants. Ive kept them in the past and really enjoy them but want to warn you about that.

Monitor your water parameters, mostly NO3 (nitrate) and phosphates should be in the water from fish waste easily enough. Watch for potassium shortages but otherwise its an easy set up and your plants will thrive on a set up like this. I regularly take aquarium water when I do a water change and water my garden and potted plants with it. (Ive got a couple of 90 gallon aquariums) and my plants thrive on it.

Timmy

Leafing Out
Reaction score
OK so were do you buy blue gill and crayfish? how many gallons should the fish tank be?

Latest posts