Are chickens and bunnies "buddies"?

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. The chickens are more likely to harass the rabbits than the other way round. Remember that domestic rabbits come from a European rabbit that lives in burrows. They can dig like badgers and might dig their way out. Once they get established in burrows they're dickenses to catch.

aussieheelr

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have a friend that kept her one rabbit buck with her chickens... but he decided he was a rooster (ehem) so he found a new home.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I once had a Flemish Giant buck when I was a kid that I would let stretch his legs in one of the goat pens. That ended when I saw my milk goat running with the buck leaping up to bite her shoulder. Guess he thought he was part Border Collie...

Timmy

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I've heard that Coccidiosis (a common illness in chickens) is lethal to rabbits.

sparks

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I check out The Hen Cam occasionally and Terri keeps a rabbit hutch in her chicken pen. It is fun, check it out

ontheairship

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Timmy said:
I've heard that Coccidiosis (a common illness in chickens) is lethal to rabbits.
Does anyone ever have problems with chickens, Coccidiosis, and dogs contracting it?

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've never had issue w/ illnesses being passed between rabbit and chicken. I keep 1 rabbit in a 8x10 yard with 5 chickens. I do have to keep him in his hutch during the day though, because he LOVES "wink wink" the chickens. Since the chickens perch at night, and he's a nightowl, he gets to run 'round the area at night while the chickens are snoozing....when I remember to let him out of his hutch. :D

Latest posts