Are compost tumblers a myth?

whatnow?

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm getting tired of the ads for compost bins that claim finished compost can be achieved in as little as 2 weeks. What's the deal with those things that makes them cook so quickly? And if it works as well as they claim (2 weeks) why do they give a 30-day home trial? :lol:

Honestly, if turning the pile daily makes that much of a difference, I'm going to have to seriously consider that thing. (And then probably just make one cause I'm cheap.)

I was thinking about cutting two circles out of a 4'x8' sheet of 3/4" plywood, connecting them with a piece of pipe with a mounting flange at either end, then covering the outside with 1x2 or 1x3 boards. Or, maybe even some thin plywood. Rest the thing on four wheels and off we go. But, only if it honestly does cook faster!

EDITED: Rethinking this... I need a hot pile... there is weed seed in almost all of my "green."

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Part of fast composting (aside from frequent turning, constant moisture levels and retaining heat) is to only add stuff that is finely chopped. If you're not going to put all your material thru a blender or a chopper first, then there is no way you're going to get anything like 'finished' in 2-3 weeks.

I have never used the tumbler things, so can't comment on them otherwise ;P

Pat

chiknwhisperer

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I've been wanting to start composting but have no idea where to begin. Can any one give me a few clues?

Backyard Buddies

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
chiknwhisperer said:
I've been wanting to start composting but have no idea where to begin. Can any one give me a few clues?
There's a ton of info on the Net. The most important thing is to get a proper balance of browns to greens. Too little greens and your pile won't cook. Too many greens and your pile will stink. If you're going to be composting pine shavings from the chicken coop (as I do) you may need a tad more greens to get your pile going.

------

I have one of those jumbo compost tumblers. They do work well, but I'd do a lot better with mine if I'd remember to turn it regularly. :p

Since I put coop shavings into my ComposTumbler, it does take longer than it would take for relatively small sized items, but it's still faster than the pile I have growing next to the tumbler while awaiting its turn.

Because it is so large, it is heavy to turn but takes WAAAAAY less energy than turning a pile by hand. Perhaps that's part of the reason why they work more quickly - because it's more thorough than turning by hand.

I didn't pay full price for mine, tho. I bought it from someone on Craig's List. Saved me a bundle.

SewingDiva

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I agree with everyone - there is a ton of composting info out there on the internet.

The science behind composting is well-dcumented and over the years people have come up with a ba-zillion different ways of making bins, boxes, tumblers etc., so I think it's really just a matter of finding a method that works for you.

~Phyllis

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
But I'd like to point out that if you feel overly boggled at all the science and technology of Modern Composting, you can also just heave a whole lot of <whatever> into a pile in some out of the way corner of the yard. Make the pile tallish and in all but the wettest climates make it flat-topped not conical. In dry weather it's nice to flop a piece of plywood or scrap of old carpeting over it, but you don't have to. It's nice to toss a shovelful or two of dirt into the middle of it, but again, you don't have to.

Then, go on with your life and forget you ever put it there. Start another pile next to it if more materials appear. But just ignore it.

Then, several (or many) years later, you will wake up one fine morning desperate for compost. "Surely *something* must have happened in that old heap of leaves and stuff." You will go out there with a shovel. It will look like nothing at all has happened except the pile is a lot flatter now. But you will scrape away the outer layer and stick your shovel into the middle.... and voila! You have Actual Compost!! It will look more like forest leafmould than like anything you could buy in a bag but it will be Good Compost nonetheless and wonderful for your garden.

And you will have done ABSOLUTELY NO WORK and did NOT NEED TO KNOW ANYTHING AT ALL to get it to happen. Just takes time.

So, there's that approach too :)

Pat, who does a small amount of faster on-purpose composting with the easiest materials she has, and also the above 'pile it in a heap and let Nature sort it out' approach with stuff that's really coarse or that I lack enough high-N material to balance out. I am now using "pile it in a heap" compost from 4 years ago, and it's just fine :)

countryatheart

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
My composting is more haphazard! I would love to try one of those barrels that you crank to turn, but they are too $$$. I do have a black bin that I was given. It does seem to attract rats! My dogs and son love this. This is the only reason my son will choose to help me turn the heap. The dogs get really excited any time we turn it because we have scared out rats several times! Of course this scares me too! It has a lid, but they manage to tunnel under or something!

pjkobulnicky

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Getting back to tumblers ... I've had one for years and I don't like it. I now use it for composting kitty litter for flowers. The problem with tumblers is that in order for it to aerate properly when you turn it you have to have the the moisture and solids balances just right or else it will either clump (too wet) or it will not work (too dry).

I do three bin composting and I get about 1.5 bins ( each bin a cubic yard ) a year on a quarter acre lot with only about six turnings (one bin into the next) a year.

Paul

vegie chicken

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
does anyone have pictures i'm going to make one as soon as possible out of a oil drum on a rotating axis with a hole at one end and with a flap and a latch. should be easy because it will be weilded

Latest posts