Are Favas a Favorite?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wasn't going to ship him any of mine, I'm catching them for my garden. I have caught them for local gardeners as well. My assassin bugs probably wouldn't make it through the winter!

Just to clear this up, I wanted to share what these assassin bugs have done for my garden. There are places where one can purchase beneficial insects. I would suppose that the "experts" would know what bug flourishes where.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just went through Wikipedia's list. Picked out some likely candidates and again fell short in being able to identify this black and yellow beetle I have thought might be an assassin bug.

It lacks the "stance." I'm still uncertain if it might be something eating flower petals. I don't feel the need to snuff it just because I don't know that it might.

I'm trying to learn from those incidents when I have thought lacewings were miller moths trying to get in my back door! It was more of a reflex than a trained "detect and prevent ..." It wasn't as tho I had sinister intentions towards lacewings!

Steve

flowerweaver

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
For several years I tried them as spring planted without success down here; they always succumbed to powder mildew or bugs. However, last year I started them in the fall and they overwintered beautifully. I didn't get much of a harvest, but at least I got something. I'll be trying again this year with a wider selection of fava types.

@digitS' Last year I discovered that all my debilitating joint pain and swelling was not bursitis, it was gluten intolerance, something I would never have guessed in a million years. I feel 15 years younger off gluten. One theory of gluten intolerance includes the fact that American wheat has been bred for higher content gluten.

Latest posts