Are "free-range" chicken eggs REALLY better?

jamespm_98

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have both a stationary traditional coop and a tractor and I can see a significant difference in feed consumption between the two. The tractor birds are moved every 3 days or so and completely eat down any vegetation. My birds in the coop are given as much greens as I can spare from grass clipping, cleaning out garden or flower bed etc... and they crave greenstuff. I was shocked when I first got chickens over the fact they love to graze on grass or green vegetation. I can see a big difference in egg quality when my girls get plenty of green stuff and insects versus my girls in the coop who sometimes don't get much green stuff. I have since moved my compost pile into my coop run and this has worked great and decreased my feed bill as my girls eat what they want and scratch the rest into little pieces making it compost faster.

My experience is chickens do better when they can get to green stuff either free range, pastured, tractored or you bring it to them.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
jamespm_98 said:
My experience is chickens do better when they can get to green stuff either free range, pastured, tractored or you bring it to them.
This makes me feel better.:) Some of us live in the city and we try to do the best that we can. I don't have a yard with grass in which I can have a tractor to move around. It's nice to know that we can bring the greens to them and it still counts!

Mary

Latest posts