Are Not All Greenhouses Solar?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
One wonders about the density of some of the material used.

The "construction grade film" that I use over the temporary hoop houses ... I can't wait to get the plants out in the open but then ... that means moving in and out. It also increases the risk of sunburn even if I'm conscientious about their location. The squirrel might get in them! A tree branch might fall!!!

The universities have "grow rooms" where there is absolute control, or so I've imagined.

With lighting so popular for plant starts I have wondered when all growing will be going indoors, like marijuana ... There are recordings of birdsong ... I could get some rest

... zzz-z'

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
The add states that the manufacturer and model is unknown. What about it's age ? Fiberglass , when exposed to direct sunlight has a funny habit of becoming more opaque and brittle with age . Have you seen what happens to fiberglass ligning in inground pools. :hu

Circle-M-Farm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
To me not all greenhouses are solar.
Some,,,, well a lot of the greenhouses on the market are a "one type fits all" type greenhouse.
The south facing glass angle is very important for collecting winter solar heat. If you have the incorrect angle you'll reflect more of the winters solar heat than you collect.
The sun angle is lower in the horizon and the sun is closer to the earth in the winter months so we have to adjust are south facing glass to collect the maximum solar heat.
For me in Northeast Ohio, the south facing glass angle of around 66.5° (+/- 20°) works best for collecting winter solar heat. Now someone in the southern U.S. might be better off with the south facing glass around 20 to 40°.

The Quonset style cold frame/ greenhouse take some of the guesswork out since they are half round and collect solar heat no matter the sun angle. The downside with this type of greenhouse is that they get very hot in the summer months.

Keep in mind in order to be a good solar greenhouse the greenhouse should collect that maximum amount of winter solar heat possible, should have a solid north facing roof and wall (no windows), the east, west walls should have minimal window openings and all exterior surfaces should have a maximum amount of insulation in them to help retain heat.

Latest posts