Are you kidding me!?

PotterWatch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I just found out (after having lived in this area for decades), that one of the local colleges runs several acres of garden/orchard as part of their ag program. It is about five minutes from my house. During the summer when almost all the students are gone, the fruit goes to waste unless it gets picked by others. So during the summer when all the fruit ripens, it is open to the public to come and pick whatever is ripe... for free!

They have all sorts of fruit trees, berry bushes, strawberry patches, banana trees, everything a person could want! All you have to do is walk in and you can pick whatever you want. We picked pounds of plums, lots of strawberries, and some black and raspberries. They don't use any pesticides, herbicides, or chemical fertilizers either. I can't believe I have lived here this long and am just now finding out about this. Even with my young garden and trees, I won't have to buy one single piece of fruit this summer. Hurray!

2dream

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Wow, that is great. One of the colleges here has a community garden but nothing about it is free. LOL Of course you can volunteer to work in it a few hours a week and reap some of the harvest.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well give the rest of us driving directions already!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup

Latest posts