are you radish experienced?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just before I headed into the house for a lunch that included pole beans and bacon, I was having a "fresh" salad in the garden. Grazing, you know . . . ;)

If you planted radish in the spring (maybe a little late in the spring since this is mid-September) and you have left some plants to go to seed - - be sure to check the seed pods for tenderness. If they are a nice clear green, smooth, and still a couple weeks away from maturing seed, pop one in your mouth!

A tender radish seed pod has the flavor of the root, without any pithiness. They are very tasty raw and real good in a stir-fry.

I have a few plants that are just past this stage in the garden. They've got plenty of tender seed pods.

Steve
organica012.jpg

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yep me too, dont have any but i'am planning on a fall crop on radish dont think they go to seed by that time.

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow :frow

The Chinese grow a radish just for the pods -- I think it's called " Rat's Tail" which is longer than the usual pod, for use in stir-fries.

http://rareseeds.com/seeds/Radish/Rats-Tail

http://www.seedlibrary.org/catalog/?exchange=miscellaneous&seed=rats_tail_radish

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...esult&ct=result&resnum=4#v=onepage&q=&f=false

This book by Joy Larkcom is one of the best books on Oriental vegetables that I have ever read & is the result of her having gone to live in China with her family so she could travel & research & eat the veg. If you can get hold of a copy you should !You wont regret it. :bow

*********You can actually read this book on this site if you have great eyesight.....!!

:rose Hattie :rose

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think the Joy Larkcom is well worth the reading, Hattie. There's a world of Asian veggies out there for us, if'n we will just step out there into it :weee.

I'm not the greatest fan of radish roots. They really need to be "toned down" between 2 slices of buttered bread to make me happy. But then again, I'm not much of a salad eater. I think lettuce should be between 2 slices of bread, also ;)! Or, I'm very happy with a head of leafy lettuce thrown into a hot pan of crumbled bacon and tossed around for just a minute.

Really, most vegetables are good like that - in a pan with the bacon. Or, assemble the ingredients for a salad dressing . . . starting with the oil, put that in a hot pan. After the oil comes the veggies, then the vinegar and spices and maybe a splash of water . . . oops - what happened to the salad? You"ve got a stir-fry :p!

The radish in the picture is from Russia. You may be able to see - It doesn't have hairy leaves. This is true with a number of daikon-type Asian radishes. I don't grow those because I'm not that interested in large roots . . . And, I'm told that the hairy-leaf radishes cook up just fine, anyway. With the radish, the entire plant is edible, even the flowers :).

Steve

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I wish I knew this over the summer when I let me radish bolt. I've since pulled them and collected the seed already! Darn it! :drool

Latest posts