Are you up for a challange?(pics)

nakactress

Leafing Out
Reaction score
So my dh and I are pretty clueless when it comes to lawns and gardens. Our 1st house was in AZ where we had rock lawns. So we moved to Utah and the house we bought had previous owners who neglected the lawn.

So I have no idea where to start. Our backyard seems like we have a weed lawn and very patchy and our front seems the grass is almost totally dead. We've watered our lawn 3 times a week at night for 20 minutes and still dead grass.

I hope these pics are alright in showing our problem. I would love a beautiful lawn with soft grass instead of the prickly weedy grass we currently have.

Here's our front yard
DSC_2815.jpg

DSC_2814.jpg

And here's our nice big backyard
DSC_2813.jpg

DSC_2812.jpg

DSC_2811.jpg

DSC_2810.jpg

DSC_2809.jpg

DSC_2808.jpg

So if I can get pointed in the right direction to make our lawn beautiful that would be AWESOME. My neighbor down the street is giving me half of her perenials(sp) next month so I look forward to have a really pretty yard.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I would suggest airating the soil. Reseed and fertilize if you could. You'd need to do fall grass seed this time of year, then reseed with spring seed in the spring.

My friend is going through this and everything for her yard priced out at $1000 for supplies at lowe's. She called trugreen lawn company and they will do it all for $180 then retreat and resow the seed every 5-6 weeks through the year for $65 a pop. I think thats the best deal!

You may just want to shop around, having someone do it may be cheaper!

beefy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
do you have molecrickets? they will kill off your grass in patches like that. notice any little dirt mounds around in the yard? see any crawling around at night? i'd find out before you spend any money on grass.

nakactress

Leafing Out
Reaction score
beefy said:
do you have molecrickets? they will kill off your grass in patches like that. notice any little dirt mounds around in the yard? see any crawling around at night? i'd find out before you spend any money on grass.
No dirt mounds.
I'm thinking the patches are from a poor sprinkler system that we plan on fixing.

sht4luck

Leafing Out
Reaction score
question? Do you need a lawn in front. Why not take some of those perennials and put them in front. You could make it a edible entry. Thats just my two cents.. I have done lawn care for to many years and see a lot of wasted space that people just don't use, yet put a lot of time and money trying to keep it pretty. Looks like you have great looking space. One thing to keep in mind, people tind to let there dogs urinate on anyone's lawn. If it is a female dog it can kill the grass in spots. I not saying this your problem, but keep your eyes open. good luck.:D

Latest posts