Argh-- feed store sold out of garlic. Where can I get it ASAP?

NurseNettie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Oh, my wonderful feed/Agway distributer went and sold out of garlic and decided not to order more ( though they told me-"we'll have it all fall") I drove the 25 miles one way to go get some today and nothing!

Any suggestions where I can order it right now so I can get it in the ground? I'm going to start searching, but was hoping there was someone out there who may have recently ordered and knows where it's in stock.

Thanks so much!

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Do you have any farmer's markets or local garlic growers? You might want to Google them. Are there any winter markets by you? Those would be some options for some garlic to quick get in the ground. Other people use storebought garlic for seed stock. Good luck!

NurseNettie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
Do you have any farmer's markets or local garlic growers? You might want to Google them. Are there any winter markets by you? Those would be some options for some garlic to quick get in the ground. Other people use storebought garlic for seed stock. Good luck!
Thanks for the suggestions. I can't find anything close by-- we are pretty remote, and Aroostook County Maine is know for potatoes and broccoli, not garlic, unfortunately! Farmer's markets are gone for the season. Nothing in the winter that I can find (my first winter here)- everyone's out hunting and getting ready for snowmobiling to come! Everywhere I've gone to online is sold out.. I'm still looking. I knew I should have ordered earlier, but the feed store said they'd have it in stock. Never again will I wait :)

meriruka1

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Not sure about your area, but if you can get some organic garlic at a grocery, it will work just fine. (Has to be organic so that it's not sprayed with a spoiling retardant). This works really well with shallots too and much cheaper than ordering & having it shipped.

NurseNettie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
meriruka1 said:
Not sure about your area, but if you can get some organic garlic at a grocery, it will work just fine. (Has to be organic so that it's not sprayed with a spoiling retardant). This works really well with shallots too and much cheaper than ordering & having it shipped.
Another great idea, thanks! I knew I came to the right place!

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Many of the large grocery stores now have organic sections of vegetables. You might get some there.

If you are really stuck, you can use regular garlic found in the vegetable sections. The spoiling retardant spray will not stop them from growing. Once you break up the heads into individual cloves, most of the spray is removed in the dry outer covering anyways.
I did this years ago, with good yield the following summer.

Now I always save some heads from the previous years harvest. I also let a few grow scapes, and plant them in October. They are smaller heads the first summer, so I save them and plant again the following fall.