Aromatics

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hello-

I live in Albuquerque, NM. Each year I plant the same flowers (usually pansies, marigolds) This year I would like to try something different, and would really like to plant not only pretty flowers that do well here in the high desert, but that smell great. These would be in flower pots on my back patio, and could receive as much or as little sunlight as is required for them to be happy.

Any suggestions?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have flowering tobacco plants in pots on my deck... they are night bloomers and they smell AMAZING from what everyone tells me. My plants are getting huge and I can't wait for the fragrance.

I can open my windows in the summer evenings and let the smell wonder into the kitchen from the deck.

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
How funny! I assume they don't smell like their name. What have you heard they smell like?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was at a garden center today, enjoying their scented geraniums.

One year I had a whole bunch of geranium starts and just had huge plants by the end of Summer. However, they were all rose and lemon geraniums. There are more to choose from.

Steve

edited to say: oh, you said pretty flowers . . . well, they aren't really known for that.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lavender is certainly fragrant and quite varied in color and height.

I found it easy to grow but DW doesn't seem to like it so well. I just enjoyed having it around.

S'

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
WOW! If they smell half as good as they look...I love the night blooming-great for evening BBQs. I think I'll see if we have them here...or I guess order on line.

Very cool.

And I forgot about the geraniums! I planted some a couple of summers ago and loved them...Time to plant some more!!

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
So I went to the local places, and all of their tobacco plants were, per the folks, non blooming, but "you could smoke them if you wanted to". :rolleyes:

What is the name of your tobacco plants vfem?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hi,
The links I supplied for the girl on Etsy... those are the kind I have. Its exactly what I bought. I even bought them from her and I got a LOT of seeds.... I have 8 plants going right now outside and the leaves get HUGE like tobacco but shoots come out covered with flowers. ;) Just get the seeds... they grow QUICKLY by direct sowing. (The seeds are very tiny though)

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I believe you are thinking of nicotena. Not sure how you spell it... It is a part of the tobacco family of plants. The blossoms smell wonderful. There are a lot of different types, some are quite tall. The seeds are so small, they are like dust!

Latest posts