Artichoke in Zone 5 - Update first post: I have 1 & a Q

trion

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Fedco seeds in ME say that you can grow artichokes here. You have to start them indoors in Jan/Feb. Has anyone ever done this? I am a total newbie and looking for some direction. Even some ideas. Everything I find online is geared towards California where plants can survive all year outdoors. I need to know when I should start them and if I should do anything special with the soil, when I should move them outside and if they need any special care?

Thank you!

July Update:

I started 6 globe artichoke plants in mid February. 3 died in the house. I think we are to blame for those. I got 3 into the ground by June 1st. One did not last through the transplant, we thought, but revived and is a tiny little 3 leaves right now. One grew pretty big and then died. We are not sure what happened. It almost looks like it was stepped on or squished. That might have been an escapee chicken. So here is my one little plant with one artichoke and 2 other artichokes starting:

6243_dsc01332.jpg

6243_dsc01333.jpg

My only concern now is when do I harvest it? I have been looking online for help or photos but have found nothing that really tells me when. Ok they say when but it is confusing and there are no photos. I know what an artichoke should look like in the store - but will this one get as big? What exactly should I be looking for?

tinychicken

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I buy my seeds from Territorial here in Oregon. According to their catalog, start the seeds in Jan/Feb. With soil between 65 and 75 they will take 10 to 20 days to germinate. There is only a 70% germination rate and about 20% of those will not produce high quality plants.

Honestly, to me this sounds like more trouble than it's worth. Can you buy plants in your area? If so, you would plant them after danger of frost. You should get some chokes the first season. I would not expect them to overwinter in your climate, but you could always give it a try. Otherwise, just treat them like an annual and enjoy over the warmer months.

I don't do much special with mine other than all purpose fertilizer in the spring and keep well watered. I do find aphids LOVE to get down in the middle of the plant so keep an eye out for them.

Our summers are very dry and I think they like more humidity than we have here. I have never been able to grow them as well as the ones from coastal California. But, like any true gardener, I keep trying!

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
trion,
I planted an artichoke variety last spring called Imperial Star, i would reccommend you start with this variety. It produces artichokes the first season, when others usually take the next year after planting to produce. The one thing is that you have to plant early enough.
I planted my artichokes last year a little too late around May but since this variety is a perennial i should be getting a crop of artichokes next year. I just mulched fall leaves around the plants and they should be fine for next season. The artichokes should be fine for the winter in your zone, i would just mulch very heavily around the plants.
Artichokes also dont like to be watered too often since they don't like wet feet.
Also when planting the seeds i would place the seeds in the refrigerator for about 2 weeks, since the seeds benefit from a period of cooling.

Hope this helps!

I wish you good luck next season with your artichokes, i'm sure you'll do fine !!! ;)

trion

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I bought some of the Imperial Globe and am waiting for the seeds. I do have to start them inside. Not sure exactly when. Probably as soon as I get them. I will try the cooling period in the fridge.

I have never seen them already started anywhere around here even at the really good garden stores. That would make things a little easier.

As for planting outside I have no idea also. Maybe around memorial day weekend. I just remember getting chicks May 4th last year and the whole month was so cold and then it rained all of June.

trion

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
bumping this with an update

Latest posts