Artichokes

blondiebee181

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Anyone have some good tips on Artichokes? I live in Boise, ID and I really want to try them...I have a friend who has had success with a couple varieties. Do they grow well at all in pots? About how much room should I allow if not? I am growing 2 5'X6' raised beds and one smaller 2 1/4'X4 1/2'...

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Blondie, Artichokes can grow huge, like a bush. They are one of those short lived perennials that can reseed and just seem like they live forever.

In a climate that they like that is, such as a good zone in the vallies near here in northern California.

Up north in Montana they grow as an annual, and nowhere near as big. Up there in barely zone 4 they are started indoors in like November, and slowly grow in winter in the greenhouse. Planted out in June they grow fast and make one single smallish artichoke at the top before frost.

You're right between in Boise.

hmmm

Maybe Thistle knows!!! Or Digit!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome Blondiebee!

Nope, sorry, don't know a thing about growing artichokes in a cold climate. But Marshall sounds like he's got it covered!

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just don't know if Artichoke can quite make it through a Boise winter. Too close to call.

Maybe, just maybe if a shelter was made around it of 2x4 framing, and a double layer of plastic, with a southern exposure and a bright wall behind it to the north.

Boise. Every time I'm around there I realize it is exactly halfway in climate between northern California and southwest Montana. Even the native vegetation looks half way between. Excellent agricultural area.

Blondie, search for the hardiest Artichoke variety, and give a few a good try. At worst, you'll get one Artichoke per plant, and you'll have made a plant shelter to extend seasons with for either more long extended season Artichokes or for other tender things such as Tomatoes.

At best, you may find they make it, and can show others around there Artichokes are possible there.

If in pots, they will have to be very large pots, like the size nurseries use for trees. For annual growing, 10 gallon, for perennial growing, at least twice that size.

If they do grow perennial, one plant will fill your 5x6 bed in 2 years with room around the edges.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
I live in upstate New York and thought of growing an artichoke in my greenhouse until I read how large the plant is. I would have room for one plant, but not much of anything else. I guess I will have to buy them from the market. Good luck if you decide to try though.

jack b

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome Blondie! My neighbor 2 doors down has one and it is about 3' tall and 4' wide. I would say it produces about 8 artichokes. Our winters are very mild and so is our climate for the rest of the year. I am about 2 hrs from the "artichoke " capitol of the world. I doubt if you have our climate for them. But you can always try.

Mary

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have had some success in growing artichokes in my zone 6 in Massachusetts. They must be started indoors very early=perhaps January-February the seeds are difficult to germinate so I always soak them and overseed. You have to grow them as an annual and start with a very substantial plant. I used the one with the shortest maturing rating. I think it is green globe. It is a lot of work to get 1-2 fruit per plant. They need lots of sun and manure. The flavor is like none any northerner has ever tasted who is used to buying them in a store. I had great fun with the challenge. I did have one over winter once which is suppose to be possible with heavy mulch. However, that plant never thrived the second season. All of that said, I had 3 or 4 successful seasons and then never again. My seedlings never do well in my greenhouse now. Those that do, do not thrive in the garden. Ask me why? I don't know!!!!! I have seen them on occasion being sold at garden centers as a large potted plant so potted is possible.

blondiebee181

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thanks all! Yeah, I will have to ask my friend if she grows them annually or perennially...pretty sure annually though...excited to get started! :rainbow-sun

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
zone 7 is pushing the artichoke on being a perennial, after 4 years mine stopped producing so up they come. last week planted 30 seeds as of today have 28 up.
if you are going to plant some you want to sow them indoors 10 weeks before the last frost in your zone. since your zone is 4 they will be a annual, here's a trick around 6 weeks old put them in a cold frame with temperature's between 35-50 for about 12 days, this will trick the artichoke to think it is a 2 year old plant and produce lots of buds. they are heavy feeder's 17-17-17 couple times while growing works fine. pick them while the buds are tight and green.
hope this helps. ..... may a bowl of melted butter be in your future this fall,,,,:)

here's a picture of one tray of artichoke seedlings that I started indoors. off to the right is bok choi seedlings a wintertime experiment.

DSC_0008_zps8b0270ad.jpg

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow! Great tip! I think I will try them again!!!
majorcatfish said:
zone 7 is pushing the artichoke on being a perennial, after 4 years mine stopped producing so up they come. last week planted 30 seeds as of today have 28 up.
if you are going to plant some you want to sow them indoors 10 weeks before the last frost in your zone. since your zone is 4 they will be a annual, here's a trick around 6 weeks old put them in a cold frame with temperature's between 35-50 for about 12 days, this will trick the artichoke to think it is a 2 year old plant and produce lots of buds. they are heavy feeder's 17-17-17 couple times while growing works fine. pick them while the buds are tight and green.
hope this helps. ..... may a bowl of melted butter be in your future this fall,,,,:)

here's a picture of one tray of artichoke seedlings that I started indoors. off to the right is bok choi seedlings a wintertime experiment.

http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h464/majorcatfish/DSC_0008_zps8b0270ad.jpg

Latest posts