Arugula question - frostbite or...?

i_am2bz

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Last night the temps got to 28-30 or so...I had everything covered by sheets, but I noticed today that my arugula, which is about 3" or so high, has some whitish splotches on some of the leaves. :/

I'll mention here that I've never grown arugula before (I don't even particularly like it, I'm doing it as a favor to SIL).

Could this possibly be due to being frozen? Or some kind of blight? Or pest? I didn't see any bugs at all.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
More than likely frost. Freezing temps won't kill arugula but if you had tender young growth on there it could have gotten bitten. Other than occasional mealy bugs I've never seen pests on arugula. The taste is similar to chicory. It will be less bitter if you turn a bucket over it to blanch it for a week or so before harvest.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yeah dear, I think the freezing temps got them. Some of my spinach and lettuce looks terrible too. You're not far from me, and I tried covering things as well. A freeze can be just as bad or worse then a frost. It even got my apple tree blossoms. :(

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm going to say frost too. It does that to leaf lettuce sometimes.

But you know, it may come back ok with new leaves; and in any case, it doesn't really hurt (much) to try extra-early plantings, they *may* get zapped like this but if they don't then you are weeks ahead in your harvest which is always nice.

Pat

i_am2bz

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks, ya'll, that's what I was afraid you'd say...;)

BUT...I didn't see it on every plant, maybe 4 or so, so I hope I'll be able to salvage some. Lettuce & spinach looked okay. :)

vfem - I think my apple trees made it...neither has blossoms yet, & my pear finished blossoming last week. :fl (at least - I hope that's a good thing! :p)

(Thanks for the tip, hoodat, I may try that!)

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It should come right back as long as it didn't freeze down into the heart where the leaves come from the center. Frosts are like that. They hit some plants and miss others in the same bed.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The growing point may be quite unaffected and produce perfectly-good leaves over the coming weeks. Leave the frostnipped leaves on the plant until/unless they start to die back severely (at which point they can be removed) and just see what happens. You may be pleasantly surprised :)

Pat

i_am2bz

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
The growing point may be quite unaffected and produce perfectly-good leaves over the coming weeks. Leave the frostnipped leaves on the plant until/unless they start to die back severely (at which point they can be removed) and just see what happens. You may be pleasantly surprised :)
I had actually thought about snipping off the damaged leaves, so thanks for pointing that out, Pat...:)