Asian Long Beans Thread 2014

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
As far as I know; the critters ate all of my seed before any of it came up (there are five or six cowpea plants that made it up, but I think all of them are short podded ones; no yardlongs) To make it more frustrating, I can't get more seed until early next year (I use some odd strain I extract from overripe pods I buy off the vegetable stands in Chinatown, and that strain only shows up in the very early spring (it has fat, almost white pods, possibly with red or brown streaks) and seed that is sort of a ying yang pattern of white and clay, with brick colored mottling on the clay part.)

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Finally! There are 6 beans out there, they are only about a month late! It is only a matter of a couple of days for stir fry!

Green 2014 first beans.jpg

britesea

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
those beans look yummy baymule! I tried growing Red Noodle beans a couple of years ago, and they never could stay ahead of the damage caused by the grasshoppers. Maybe now that I have ducks patrolling the yard, I'll try again-- but I'll try this variety instead, thanks.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay, my yard long beans have had a slow start--kind of poor germination, then too much rain, then something eating little holes in the leaves. Finally, they are starting to take off with a vengeance. I was afraid they would be all naked down by the bottom of the plants, but I see they are sprouting new vines at the leaf junctions. I made a trellis out of t-posts and twine. They seem to like it so far.
It is interesting to see the difference in the 4 kinds of pole beans I have planted. Two are from Bluejay, African beans, and one is an heirloom greasy cut short (I think that is what it is called)
Of course, none to eat yet. I have been buying beans at the farmers' market occasionally--$2.50 a pound! (Hurry up, beans!)

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@so lucky when these start producing, they will pound you to death with green beans! I never can or freeze any, because when they finally freeze, I need the break from green beans!

@britesea these just started producing, when I get seed, I'll send you some for next year. PM your address and you'll be first on the list! They make so many that I miss some, so seed is not hard to come by. I covered them with sheets last winter to stave off frost and they kept producing until a hard freeze took them out.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, we are up to our eyeballs in green beans! We eat them several times a week, give them to friends and picked a bunch for the assisted living home where Mom is. We had some tonight stir fried with chopped onions in a tablespoon of duck fat. Added a splash of soy sauce.....YUM! :drool

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
We're eating quite a few now, too. Maybe it is the growing conditions here, but mine are a little tough. I do like them pre-steamed or boiled a few minutes first, then sautéed in olive oil or bacon grease, with garlic salt. DH will eat them, but if a bean isn't boiled to within an inch of its life, it isn't a bean to him. so there's a problem.
They are fun to grow. Did you say last year that they don't freeze or can well? Or maybe I read that somewhere else.

britesea

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I love green beans almondine: steam or boil your green beans just until tender. Meanwhile, melt a knob of butter (as much as you can manage without feeling guilty!) and saute your slivered almonds until they are brown and the butter is fragrant with almond. Tip it into the green beans and listen to them sizzle, then enjoy.

Latest posts