Asparagus - is it possible to relocate an asparagus bed?

NurseNettie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
When we bought our house early last year, we were told there was an established asparagus patch. Well, we found it after it was nearly "done" for the year, and got a nice little harvest this year as well. My problem with it ( same as with a lot of the perennial plants/trees/bushes etc here) is that it's just sort of "plopped" into the middle of the yard, on a slope, surrounded by thick grass. It's hard to work around, in, and the soil erodes, even though there's a barrier placed in "front" of it to help the erosion. It's also interplanted with wild onions that I can't get rid of.

I'd like to move the asparagus to a slightly raised bed eventually- but don't know how to approach it ( if it can be done at all). If I can't move it, I'll keep it and use it until I can establish a new bed someplace else. I hate to "waste" the plants though.

Has anyone ever done this? If so- what season or time of year should it be done? I'd love to hear from anyone who has done this before.

Thanks so much :)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I just planted my first asparagus bed about a week ago. Until now I have never done it before... so I am of no help.

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh yes,

Asparagus is very forgiving. Just dig the clump up and shake out all the soil. Each 'crown' should have a cluster of roots that reach out about 8-10 inches in a fan effect.

Simply choose your new location and inside the planting hole make a raised mound and then spread the fan of the roots (without soil) across the mound. Then cover it all level. So simple.

The only thing you do not want to do is leave the root mass out for several days in the air because they will lose moisture contained in the roots. You will notice the roots are really like an elongated tuber holding moisture. Sort of like a daylily but thinner.

If you dig a 'crown' that is too big, simply take a shovel or trowel and cut it in half and/or quarters. Don't worry about getting the right spot, again they are forgiving. You can then propagate more crowns which will create more asparagus plants!

Have fun, this is a perfect time to move them since they will naturally be going into dormancy. Don't hesitate to cut all of this year's stems and growth down to the crown!

Ron

NurseNettie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks!!!! I don't have a bed for them to go into right now, so I will plan for next fall. For now, I'm cutting the dead growth back and mulching well ( and trying to get rid of the onions!!) I'll start building the new bed with this year's compost and add next year- and transplant it all next fall!! Hmm.. Maybe I'll make 2 beds-- one with new roots ( maybe a different type) and these older ones! I love asparagus! Hubby hates them, but I can can or freeze them and eat them all year- I do love them!

Greensage45 said:
Oh yes,

Asparagus is very forgiving. Just dig the clump up and shake out all the soil. Each 'crown' should have a cluster of roots that reach out about 8-10 inches in a fan effect.

Simply choose your new location and inside the planting hole make a raised mound and then spread the fan of the roots (without soil) across the mound. Then cover it all level. So simple.

The only thing you do not want to do is leave the root mass out for several days in the air because they will lose moisture contained in the roots. You will notice the roots are really like an elongated tuber holding moisture. Sort of like a daylily but thinner.

If you dig a 'crown' that is too big, simply take a shovel or trowel and cut it in half and/or quarters. Don't worry about getting the right spot, again they are forgiving. You can then propagate more crowns which will create more asparagus plants!

Have fun, this is a perfect time to move them since they will naturally be going into dormancy. Don't hesitate to cut all of this year's stems and growth down to the crown!

Ron

Latest posts