Asparagus

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I want to plant some aparagus and am looking for any information, tips etc. that people might want to share.
I know that it takes approx. 3 years after planting before you can harvest anything and I think you plant it in the fall? Other than that, how much room does it need, how close can you plant it, how much sun etc.
Thank you.

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have many of the same questions you do!

I am in Mississippi and I believe we are supposed to plant it in January.

What I have done so far is to take some old scrap plywood and cover up the space I've designated as my future asparagusbed. I'm just going to leave that down until the temperatures drop late this fall (so the snakes won't be active.) Then I will pull it up and remove any vegitation that survived the six months of total darkness. THEN I will till up the dirt (maybe with some compost) and cover it back up again until January when it's time to plant.

I don't know how much space it needs, but I'm sure that I haven't allocated NEARLY enough space for the 25 crowns that come per order. I guess I need some more plywood. LOL

Cassandra

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I know, space is definitely a consideration for me.
I want to know whether I should do it in rows or if I can just put them is a square shaped area.
I need to know how much they spread out at maturity in order to plan this space.
It will definitely be nice to have home grown asparagus.
Its kind of expensive, at least for the amount I need to buy for my family dinners.
I love it grilled, sometimes I wrap it with prosciutto and cheese and drizzle with olive oil.
Now I just made myself crave some asparagus.

PennyinOk

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I actually have my asparagus incorporated into my flower beds and it looks real nice. I have planted in the spring and the fall and it has done well at both times.

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Good idea. Do you mind telling me how much space you use for how many crowns you planted? I am wondering how wide of a space they need per plant or per 10 plants.
I am going to have to order 25 crowns so am wondering if I should just split them up and grow them in a couple of different places but don't know how big they get.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You'll want to plant the crowns in the spring, once it's warmed; unless you lived in a warm weather area, of course.

You will want them to have their own patch, where they can stay for their entire lives. They can shade small things, so that needs to be taken into consideration. They, themselves, can take various amounts of sun, but good sun gets me the best crops.

No, you won't want to pick any the first year, let them turn into those pretty ferny fronds.

At the end of the first season, dispose of the plant material when it dies back, in case it's harboring anything.

The next year, you can carefully take just a few larger spears, to remind yourself what's to come! ;)

The 3rd year is when you can safely eat quite a bit.

If you fudge on those steps, then your root system is cheated. You will get many, many years of asparagus from your patch if you establish it carefully.

Some people plant in rows, others in a bed. The closest I'd plant them is a foot apart, the furthest, a foot and a half. That's just my opinion, but those spacings are generally used.

Asparagus is one of my favorites; good luck! :happy_flower

PennyinOk

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
My asparagus likes the sun and I planted it about 8 inches apart I think it is recommended to plant further apart on the packaging but I have not had any problems with it and it has been in the ground for going on 9 years. I have new starts at different spots in my flower beds now that are only a year old. If you are thinking about planting it in a flower bed I would suggest planting four or five plants here and there but if you are planting it in one spot you might want to give it more room to spread out a little. I would plant in a row if it was in my garden and remember it has to be somewhere that it can stay, I dug some asparagus up once and I had a huge root ball, I thought I was never going to get that stuff up out of the ground but I was determined....LOL it is expensive stuff and it was free asparagus I was digging. Good luck with your plants!

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I thought you could plant some in the spring and fall. I don't know why I thought fall as well. I guess I will wait until next spring then.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Soil preparation is important. I dug a trench 15" deep and 18" wide and layered in well composted manure with a layer of soil on top, set the crowns, then filled in the trench over the season as they came up. Backbreaking work around here! This is the third year and the harvest is just starting to get good. Next year should be the year!

Latest posts