asparagus

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have one of my raised beds designated for perennial plants, herbs, asparagus, and a few other little things. I have been waiting patiently for the asparagus to come up and I hear from my friend they have already been eating theirs!!! I went and moved the mulch around and found 2 little stalks!!! last year i had a bed full!!! 4ft square at least!! What in the world???

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Could your bed be in a shadier spot? Retained snow longer than usual? Had a heavy mulch that slowed down thaw? Planted a tad deeper than your neighbor's? I don't think it is 'normal' for asparagus to disappear that quickly. Someone or some animal get there first?

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Mine has been slow producing this year.
I'm blaming it on the harsh winter.

THANX RICH

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
A few brave souls are peaking up from the soil, here. A little sunshine would be helpful for mine! I bet yours will be up soon.

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I usually start looking in the 3rd week of April for signs of it..but nothing this year.
Funny thing about asparagus..turn your back on the bed for a day or two, and sure as heck the next time you look it will be sprouting like crazy. Harvesting it every day for the last week now.
Asparagus loves nitrogen..If you have access to it, dump some chicken manure on the bed in the early fall,, and let it rot down over winter. I don't dig it in as that could disturb the roots.
Another way of improving production from year to year, is to allow some of the spears from each root, to go to fern. I usually allow the skinniest spears do this. The ferns draws nutrition down into the root, and keeps it healthy.
You can also harvest the seeds from the ferns, for starting seedlings in the spring. Once the seed pod is dark orange, and squishy soft, (usually mid fall), squeeze the black seeds out of it. Stick them in seed trays in early spring, and transplant to the garden when they become small ferns. Takes a few years for new plants to produce good crops, so be patient!

Latest posts