Asparagus

lnm03

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We just purchased our first house in June 2008 it is a 2 story farm house with just over 2 acres of ground and we have made several discoveries since we purchased our home.

We found a wonderful nice sized Asparagus patch and I LOVE asparagus but I have never had asparagus as good as this. I dont know much about growing it but this thread is very intersting and helpful.

I dont know much about harvesting or getting it ready for next year but I do know that it has been there for years.

The daughter of the people we purchased our house from said they planted it years ago and she also showed us a nice little strawberry patch too!

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hey thats great!! I didn't have anything growing here when I bought my house. Not even a plant, barren.
I changed all that but its alot of work and money.
You are lucky, asparagus and stawberries, yum.

keljonma

Leafing Out
Reaction score
lnm03 said:
We just purchased our first house in June 2008 it is a 2 story farm house with just over 2 acres of ground and we have made several discoveries since we purchased our home.

We found a wonderful nice sized Asparagus patch and I LOVE asparagus but I have never had asparagus as good as this. I dont know much about growing it but this thread is very intersting and helpful.

I dont know much about harvesting or getting it ready for next year but I do know that it has been there for years.

The daughter of the people we purchased our house from said they planted it years ago and she also showed us a nice little strawberry patch too!
Sounds like you found quite a patch of heaven there.... Congratulations!

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Warning about asparagus. I have a mature patch that bears very well. Warning is some of us that eat WAY too much, get gout.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Asparagus is considered a food rich in purine, so it should be avoided if you are prone to gout. Doesn't mean you should avoid it entirely, just eat in moderation. Off the subject sort of, but pure cherry juice will help if you're suffering from the gout, Juicy Juice makes it, and you can get it from health food stores. Try it, it works!

lnm03

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
simple life said:
Hey thats great!! I didn't have anything growing here when I bought my house. Not even a plant, barren.
I changed all that but its alot of work and money.
You are lucky, asparagus and stawberries, yum.
Definately lucky!! We absolutely love it!! Hopefully we will get more Strawberries this year we didnt find it until it was almost too late!

Sounds like you found quite a patch of heaven there.... Congratulations!
Thanks! Its definately our little patch of heaven.

The asparagus is WONDERFUL!!!

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Reinbeau said:
Asparagus is considered a food rich in purine, so it should be avoided if you are prone to gout. Doesn't mean you should avoid it entirely, just eat in moderation. Off the subject sort of, but pure cherry juice will help if you're suffering from the gout, Juicy Juice makes it, and you can get it from health food stores. Try it, it works!
thank you. Now when we eat it for breakfast, I'll serve cherry juice as the drink..for me, 2 wins, wins.

How does everyone like their's? I love it fried, in omelots. Not a real fan of boiled.......the way my wife seems convinced is the only way you can eat it.

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
SimpleLife

I will have to look and see what kind I grow. It does very well though and we have been very happy with it. I have a couple wild patches that I pick from too that I have often thought of moving. But they grow just fine where they are so why mess with it, right?!

beak

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
seedcorn said:
Warning about asparagus. I have a mature patch that bears very well. Warning is some of us that eat WAY too much, get gout.
I have gout. My foot doctor finally diagnosed it. Allopurinol does real well and it's cheap. I eat very little red meat and I don't drink wine. They used to call it the rich mans disease. That's not me. I would've hated to have it back in the 1800's. It's way too painful if not treated.

Latest posts