At what size should I pick my peas?

Tomatoes&Things

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
My peas just started coming in last week and I am wondering what size to pick them or in other words what size do most people like them best. Should I let them get a decent size or wait until they are full and tight.

Dixiedoodle

Leafing Out
Reaction score
what type of pea? Snow, field, black eye, purple hull?? If it is snow peas, I like them young and tender AND I like the large with peas formed in them. I use both on salads and I steam the more mature pea and serve as a side dish.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm going to guess these are regular peas, like you eat as round green fresh peas? If so, wait til the pods are well filled, but err on the side of too soon rather than too late as the sugar turns to starch rather abruptly. You will probably have to pick a couple every day or two and open 'em and try them out, til you get a good 'search image' for what the right stage looks like.

(Then rush to frying pan, melt more butter than modern nutritional fads would endorse, and shake the peas around in it over med-hi heat til cooked, then eat before anyone else in your family finds out what you're up to and demands some... ;))

Pat, starting to eat our lettuce but that's it for now

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I pick them when Pat does, but most of them have always seemed to be eaten before getting to the kitchen.....:rolleyes: :)

bodnsoul

Sprout
Reaction score
All we are saying, is give peas a chance.

sorry, couldn't resist

janetnjim

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
(Then rush to frying pan, melt more butter than modern nutritional fads would endorse, and shake the peas around in it over med-hi heat til cooked, then eat before anyone else in your family finds out what you're up to and demands some... ;))

Pat, starting to eat our lettuce but that's it for now
I sure wish this forum had a drool emoticon :lol:

Latest posts