attempted my first graft

aussieheelr

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
on my apple tree. I took a branch from a "stray" tree growing along the road that doesn't get pruned or anything (but our horses liked the apples from it last year). Followed the instuctions from a video on YouTube. I used packaging tape so it may not be tight enough, didn't think about electrical tape at the time but on second thought it probably would have done a better job.
But hey we'll see. The next one to graft will be a Bing cherry to my Black Tartanian.

sparks

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Oh no....now you have me thinking..."what can I graft"? Let us know how it turns out.:cool:

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
ooooooooooh, you rock! I want pictures!!! Where's the video?!

There is an old apple tree down the road that is never cared for and looks terrible since the horses and goats there strip the poor tree every year. I want to go take a branch (of course with permission from the owner) and try to graft it to one of my Red Jonathon trees.

So exciting an adventure! :D

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the post. This reminded me I need to get "grafting wax" pretty soon. I tried bud grafting on apples last year and was a miserable failure. But I tried reusing some other wax I had, which I think was a big part of the problem. I'll try the real stuff this year.

I think this may be something that has a steep learning curve. Once you actually figure out what you are doing, it is probably not all that difficult, but think climbing that learning curve can be pretty frustrating.

aussieheelr

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Here's a great video, the camera gets nice and upclose so you can REALLY see what's goin on.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy1Ca8RotRI
I didn't use any grafting wax, probably should have. Just taped up with packaging tape. I'll have to get some pictures this weekend :) I think I might get some grafting wax and do a second one too just to be safe, and if they both take then I can have comparisons!!

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The easiest graft for beginners is approach grafting. It's close to 100% effective and can be done whenever there is active growth.

aussieheelr

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Ok so now I've tried my hand at approach grafting... and it did seem easier. Here are the pictures of that try:

1. I chose two branches of similar width and cut at matching angles.
6809_step_1.jpg

2. Snug them together tight and got ready to wrap with electrical tape.
6809_step_2.jpg

3. All wrapped up tight. We get VERY strong winds here so it was helpful to have the graft slightly close to the trunk so I could wrap some support to it.
6809_step_3.jpg

The branches I used this time had blossoms on it, not sure if they'll keep but that's ok so long as the branch does.

Does anyone know how long until the graft has taken enough that I could remove the tape?

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Don't get overly curious and remove the tape to take a peek. You are almost sure to injure the graft. Just watch and see if the part you grafted on is staying alive. If it still looks fresh and green after a month the graft almost certainly took but leave it alone till at least the Fall and the following Spring is even better. By that time it will have succeeded or failed.

Latest posts