Attractive but Cheap Mulch

Purple Strawberry

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
We have used red pine chips in the 4 beds in the front and back of the house for the past 4 years and it is time to replace the old. My husband wants to use pine straw since it is cheaper, but it just doesn't look great to me up against the house. Any other cheap suggestions besides pine straw?

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I love composted hay. Composted pine straw would probably be good too. I realize this probably does not help you this year, but if you can buy some moldy year-old hay and pile it somewhere inconspicuous and water it well (might add some commercial fertilizer to the water), *next* spring you'll have a good mulch. It does break down over the course of the year and need to be replaced yearly but really builds the soil quite well (no tilling in required).

If you can find a tree service still willing to dump a load of chippings for free, that's good too but I would NOT put it on the garden when fresh. At the very least let it heat up and then dry out for a few weeks; composted for some months is better.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat, relying heavily on both of the above :)

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
For free or cheap wood chips, you might check the waste management department of your county or city, if either is appropriate for you. I don't know what the electric or telephone utility companies do with the branches they cut from the right of way. Might be worth a check. If they are working near you, they may appreciate being able to dump a load close by. Fayetteville will load 2 cubic yards of wood chips onto my transportation for $10 most of the year but after the ice storm they are giving it away for free. I have a big pile outside right now.

They'll do the same for compost for $20 a load, but they quit doing that until they finish clearing up the debris from the ice storm. I need that compost in about 2 weeks! Frustration!!! I guess some people are never satisfied.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I use the red mulch, but at $40 for a Yard (large pick up truck load) it does all the beds in the front and back yard with some to spare. It would kill us if we bought by bag at home depot or lowes though. I know the dark brown mulch the same place has is only $32 a load.

I just fine pine straw unattractive, and here is too nice of a hiding place for snakes :ep

Purple Strawberry

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thank you for all the replies. The county my husband works in offers him free mulch BUT you have to shovel it on your truck all by yourself. I have been talking about going to get some for about 3 months and somehow the subject always gets avoided. So today after everyones response I called him and said "When I get off tomorrow we are meeting and getting mulch okay? Call your dad and see if we can borrow the truck?" he said "If you say so"

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Southern Gardener said:
I use pine straw - it's abundant and free! :D
You know, if I had pines in my yard...maybe for the free part. We're lacking trees at all... so nothing for us to get a mulcher to use. Otherwise, I think some shredded leaves and chipped wood from branches and stuff would do great, and feed my plants at the same time.

I need trees!!!! :/

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
i had 2 trees cut down and the stumps ground. I used the shavings in my new flower bed I am constructing. They seem to be doing a good job and do look nice. I can get more, my son works for the guy who does the trees. If you can get it free even if you have to replace it every year its worth it to me.

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
vfem said:
Southern Gardener said:
I use pine straw - it's abundant and free! :D
You know, if I had pines in my yard...maybe for the free part. We're lacking trees at all... so nothing for us to get a mulcher to use. Otherwise, I think some shredded leaves and chipped wood from branches and stuff would do great, and feed my plants at the same time.

I need trees!!!! :/
I'll let you have a few Sweet gums for cheap! :D