Bad garden year I am sooo disappointed

dipence71

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Well first it was so wet it flooded out a big portion of my garden. All I was getting was lettuce, so I replanted finally and now have onions but no lettuce.
My green beans are starting to grow but now they need dusted because of bugs.
I got 2 red peppers out of 6 plants and now they are being eaten to the ground by something
No tomatoes yet if I even get any
Bumper crop of carrots though
starting to get a few cucumbers
:hit All my zucchini plants withered dried up and died
my radishes (2cnd planting because 1st got flooded out) look horrid
potatoes didnt do hardly anything and I planted a bunch(50lb bag split between me and in laws)

I just want to cry. I wanted to can so much this year. But no tomatoes and zucchini means no salsa. no zucchini blueberry jam, ect ect

:hit :hit :hit :he :he :somad :somad :somad :rant :rant :rant

And I have Brown rot on my peach and plum tree.. so no good plums aaarggghhh Waiting to see if I can salvage any peaches

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
:hugs Oh I promise next year will be better! We have have bad seasons. :hit Remember to treat your peach and plum trees when they are dormant to get rid of the brown rot, or you'll get it again next year....

...and you have PLENTY of time to still get tomatoes in. :thumbsup

Ariel301

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Here too. It's been too hot, and too dry, and the sun burned up most of the plants. The tomatoes got sick and died from something, I think I got a bad batch of tomato seed because only ones from that source did not work. Then when it did rain and stuff started to come back, the chipmunks found the garden again, gnawed through the fence, and destroyed all the produce that was starting to ripen. Now the ants are marching in, ignoring my ant bait, and burrowing holes into my okra. Grr.

Hopefully we will have a better year next year!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
dipence71, :hugs :hugs :hugs
DON'T give up on your gardening!!
Read the threads about sterilizing your soil, so you can kill the weed seeds left.
Then start composting THIS YEAR for next year.
I just realized this morning that I am NOT watering my garden. I put two 1-2 foot of compost last winter. I think everybody thought it the manure mixed in was too fresh--me, included--and I'd burn out my crops, but that didn't happen. We've had blazing sun and a 2 week drought with another week of excessive heat warnings, and I am NOT having to water my 5 foot high okra, my bushy tomatoes, my leafy sweet and hot peppers. I have watered my beets, but I'm just delaying the inevitable harvest work with them.
:hugs :hugs :hugs
We're all pulling for you! :D

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I think the idea of good an bad can make gardening hard. We are always aspiring to grow more harvest more. Almost with delusions of grandor. But life has a way of happing so that we can be humbled real quick. Now I can kill more than I can grow and was starting to not enjoy the garden after all I put a ton of work and all I got were radishes. I put a ton of money and all I got were SVBs. But I am trying to think of the garden as a fun thing a place where I chose to spend my time and if I happen to get a tomato out of it the wow awesome. But if all I get is a farmers tan the awesome as well. It has made this year a lot better.

And I started to grow ornametals. Which is fun cause I get a pretty flower something gorgeous and almost intangible.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sorry all your hard work didn't pan out. :hugs

Some years you just can't win! But there's always a few things that will do well.

dipence71

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
OHHHH I wont give up. I love to garden, all the blood sweat and tears lol..

Just ranting a bit about how disappointed I am with the results this year. :hit

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yep....this has been my worst year since I started back gardening, three years ago. But, it happens and can be expected to happen again, at some point in time. Just have to back up and punt.
The highlight for me this year was my carrots and brocolli, which, I think, done real well for my first try. Am anxious to try sprouts this fall.....for the first time. EVERYTHING that has done well year in and year out was pretty much a disaster.....but not totally.
Like they are fond of saying in college football........there's always next year.

Latest posts