Bad neighbors = too many grasshoppers

Armchairhomesteader

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I bet you are not the only person in your town who would like to have chickens. Laws are changing everywhere,

Our law was passed just a few months ago. Until then chickens were banned outright. The city council acts like they have done us all a favor, when this law is just an excuse to raise money and uphold the sanctity of Walmart and Buylo. We are so busy supporting the police union and an NFL team that none of us ordinary citizens ever wanted to begin with that City Hall is broke. We’ve closed some schools and now even our grade schools have nearly a thousand students bused in from the other side of town. We’ve closed some public libraries and have others on short hours. The main library has had about a 50% staff reduction over the past 5 years. And the Republican-controlled city council last year ignored the Democrat mayor’s request and raised property tax rates by 17%- and the libraries are still closed.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome to TEG, Armchairhomesteader :frow.

Virginia Tech has a pesticide guide for home gardens. It is just a list of what might be used against various pests but you may get some ideas. (LINK)

It looks like the baits don't work against the adults. The sprays like Pyrethrin may be a choice only if they can actually contact the bug.

Looks like a very difficult problem using an organic solution but I'm not familiar with grasshoppers being such a problem.

Steve

Armchairhomesteader

Leafing Out
Reaction score
@Armchairhomesteader after reading what you have posted......I have only one word of comfort for you. Move. Texas is nice this time of year.....but not in another week or two.... :lol:

If I didn’t have a disabled mother to take care of, I would have moved ages ago. Since they won’t let me live in the public library the city is not my natural habitat.
And my part of Florida has already had 2 weeks of temperatures in the mid-90s, and muggy like you wouldn’t believe.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can sympathize with you. I quit my job to care for my mom after she had a stroke 2 1/2 years ago. She can take a shower and go to the bathroom by herself, but uses a walker. She lost just enough of her mental abilities to not be able to live by herself anymore, and she is worse now.

Muggy and hot.....I totally get that.

Back to the grasshoppers, since you can't have chickens, what about the bait shop idea? Make it a "catch your own" 35 grasshoppers for $1.50 :lol:

Armchairhomesteader

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Back to the grasshoppers, since you can't have chickens, what about the bait shop idea? Make it a "catch your own" 35 grasshoppers for $1.50 :lol:

Are you kidding? The city won’t maintain the storm drains so at least once each of the last 2 summers my garden at home has been under water.
My other property is located in an older neighborhood that has no storm drains and is at the bottom of a slope that starts in the next block. If we get even a mild tropical storm sitting within a hundred miles of us for a couple of days I won’t need any fishing bait because I could grow the fish myself for the next month. The garden area stays above water only because I dug out planting beds, used the dirt to build up the pathways and then filled in the beds with a dump truck of compost.