Bad Or False Garden Advice

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, I realized a long time ago that anytime I plant a bush, tree, or perennial plant or put in a landscape feature I give myself a special area I can't just mow over. At the least I have to weed-eat there, and often it involves weeding and mulching. I still plant some stuff, but I think if I can get these peony established they will grow thick enough hey will pretty much self-mulch so it's mostly weed-eating around them. I'll still have to pull grass out of them but hopefully not a lot.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mom had one in middle of yard. We just mowed around it.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
My Daddy never gave me false garden advice, but he did tell me that broccoli was little trees and beans were rabbit poop.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I have a deep pink peony that are very slow to grow and bloom just bc there is a big tree in the way. All of the others do great, BUT, I read "full sun" and planted MINE that way, just like the others the somebody had planted on my property were ALSO planted right, in full sun.
I watched a gardening program recently, and the host interviewed a guy with a horticulture degree who talked about how his first lecture was contradicted by some old gardener in the audience. His balloon deflated. In the ensuing years he wondered if the common gardener's advice was wright or wrong. BEING a Scientist he decided to use the Scientific Method and experiment with all of the gardening advice that came his way, especially regarding insect control. He took his results to a book where he proves them right or wrong by way of 100% results. That doesn't mean that his methods will eradicate 100% of the bad bugs, but they are successful and he talked about how too much of one product and not enough another will not produce the result you want.
Your thread made me think of this. I am Also a result oriented gardener. If it doesn't work, I like to find out what DOES work. I have wasted too much $money on the wrong products or plants zoned for a warmer zone to waste any more.
Btw, as soon as I can dig the new hole that peony is moving to full sun at my DD's house!

lcertuche

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I learned the hard way to have something around whatever I plant. Roses, rhubarb, Irises. I once left a maple seedling growing in the center of a very sunny yard and when it got about six feet high DH decided to cut it down. I was not happy. I'd been telling him for months we would have some shade someday soon. :he

Latest posts