Baked Beans

sandyullom

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I read somewhere (I thought it was a thread on here, but now I can't find it) that Scarlet Runner Beans make good baked beans. I mentioned it to the owner of our local garden store last time I was in there and she said she had never heard of them for anything but ornamentals. Before I buy and plant them, I wanted to be sure I was right about drying them to use in baked beans. Does anyone know?

Catalina

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Yes - they are yummy cooked beans! They are the only beans my Grandma will grow and she makes the best baked beans.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
The baked beans I've made have always been made with dried beans. Have not used Scarlet Runners yet though.

I'm planting the Scarlet Runners for the first time this year and plan to eat some as green beans and some as dried beans. I always grow Blue Lake. Once we get or 45 to 50 pints canned I let them "go to seed" and harvest them as dried beans. Taste a lot like Great Northern to me. I expect the Scarlet Runners will taste a little different but make great dried beans. I shall find out.

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow :frow

Scarlet Runners are the UK's favourite bean but are usually eaten as a youngish green bean. They are best steamed & then buttered liberally. No roast Sunday dinner is complete without them in the summer. In hotter areas I would recomend growing the white flowered varieties as they set better (there are also mixed-colour ones, an old heirloom variety called "Painted Lady").
In Scandinavia they are only used as an ornamental plant.
I would think they would make good baked beans as the seeds are large & rather floury but I haven't tried them yet.

:rose Hattie :rose

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
You guys were making such a lovefest over Scarlett Runner Beans, so I kept looking for them locally--finally found a merchart who had them in the display and I bought a package of seeds. I love red flowers, so add that to the rainblow swiss chard and the flowers being planted sacrificially for bug problems, and my vegetable garden out to be pretty colorful this year! :lol:

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow :frow

I think HiDelight had some Runner Bean seeds -- you could PM her & see if she has any to swap !! I wish I was allowed to send you some from the UK.......!! I have several varieties ! :D

Thompson & Morgan, a UK company sells seeds in the US. I'm sure they will have them. Use your Google search for them.......!! :cool:

:rose Hattie :rose

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just planted my scarlet runner beans. Everyone raved about how pretty they were and how hummingbirds love them, that I just had to have some. I got my seeds from Bakers Creek. I had planned to use them only as ornamentals but I may try to dry them and use them to make beans. Every week I make a pot of pinto beans because the kids love bean and cheese burritos and are always asking for some. I have to make burritos twice a week, every week!

Hope they work for us.

Mary

Latest posts